From:
Chris Strudwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2018 06:04:36 -0400
Sulphur was definitely used for killing bees in skeps that were being harvested for honey. There's actually a video on Youtube of this being done.

It's not a question of sulphur strips though (which are reasonable for killing wax moth in stored comb), they used to suspend the skeps over an earth pit in which sulphur was being burnt in quantity. Presumably a combination of noxious fumes, H2S and SO2 included, would have done for the bees. I doubt it did much for the flavour of the honey or the well-being of the beekeeper and I don't think it is a technique that needs revival.