From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2018 17:59:12 -0400
Hi all
the notion of "locally adapted stock" is not new, almost 20 years this article was in the ABJ

Producing Varroa-tolerant honey bees from locally adapted stock: a recipe.
Erickson, E. H.; Hines, L. H.; Atmowidjojo, A. H.
Carl Hayden Bee Research Center, 2000 E. Allen Road, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA.
American Bee Journal 2000 Vol.140 No.8 pp.659-661 ref.4

We have found that producing Varroa-tolerant honey bees is relatively simple and straight forward. It may not work equally well in your area, but this should be tested. Our concept is based on fundamental biological principals and beekeeping basics. Utilizing locally adapted stock ensures that your colonies will be most prolific and productive. Grafting and rearing of queens may be viewed by some beekeepers as a stumbling block in the production of Varroa-tolerant bees. However, the techniques are not difficult and the work can be personally rewarding to avid beekeepers. If you choose not to rear queens, try collaborating with a beekeeper who knows how. Beekeeping clubs should consider developing Varroa-tolerance projects within their areas. Varroa-tolerance is the first step towards an IPM program for Varroa.

Using queens from our selective breeding program described above, we have requeened virtually all of a 600-colony operation here over the last two years ­ 1998 and 1999. In the fall of 1998, over one-fourth of the operation was not treated with miticide, and there were very few losses directly attributable to Varroa damage. In the fall of 1999, only about one hive in fifteen had significant Varroa damage, and only those were treated. These colonies also have been, or will be, requeened as soon as more queens are available in early 2000. As this is being written (April, 2000) most hives in the operation are brooding well, and showing very little, if any, ill effects from Varroa. This is in spite of the stresses put on the bees by a summer (1999) of very low rainfall and poor plant growth, followed by the driest fall and winter in recorded history.