Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2018 22:25:41 +0000
>>"...When people are talking about their losses, they are largely unsure why their colonies died."

 This is true to an extent, but most winter losses are due to Varroa (E. Guzman, Univ Guelph). Please see "Why Did My Bees Die?", by Meghan Milbrath, http://nybeewellness.org/diagnostics/dead-out-clinics/why-did-my-honey-bees-die-meghan-milbrath-phd-michigan-state/Many beekeepers overlook the signs of varroa/mite winter death, perhaps hoping for "something else", to be the cause.
This year is the 5th NY Bee Wellness Spring Survey (out in April!). It surveys non-migratory beekeepers in NYS. Photos are included and may help educate beekeepers. The purpose of the survey is to provide info for beekeepers to see trends both statewide, and by state region (Long Island, Western NY, etc). Hopefully the results help beekeepers and groups see ways to improve education.The Spring 2017 survey:https://mailchi.mp/3796c7fd6167/spring-survey-results-2017-ny-bee-wellness?e=9a56c4ce71
A few years ago the data was professionally analyzed for correlations by a local university. For a survey of about 10 questions, it yielded 324 pages of info. The verdict: doing something was better than doing nothing to your hives --too many variables are involved. There are also so many other variables which are not included in the survey questionnaire.Then there's weather and transitory conditions.
I cannot imagine the volume of data and programming required for the BIP multi-page surveys!
Hoping for an effective and user-friendly way to reduce varroa; good work for modifying oxalic use, like Randy Oliver's oxalic/glycerin study, is anticipated by many.
-Pat BonoNYBeeWellness.org