From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2018 09:09:09 +1000
Noticed a negative theme towards irradiation.  I realise that for some
posting it is a cost and effort that they cannot justify.

However here in Australia it is a very good management tool and widely used.
We even have beekeepers who ship gear to be irradiated 2,000 kilometres
(1,250 miles).  The plant they ship to is palletised so it is easy for the
beekeeper to prepare pallets of gear for shipping.  The other two plants are
older and components have to be treated individually i.e. a triple in
height.  See http://steritech.com.au/industries/beekeeping/  For beekeepers
travelling a long distance prior arrangements can be made to drop off the
gear one day and then pick up the next thus saving on a trip to drop off and
then come back later to collect.

There is a cost for treatment and getting the gear to and from the plant but
having gear that can be used straight away outweighs the cost of having to
start from scratch.  Here in Australia, except for Tasmania, any gear
affected with AFB is burnt if not irradiated.

Research showed that 10kGy will kill AFB but you need 15kGy to kill EFB and
chalkbrood.  So most beekeepers elect for 15kGy.  I used to have all dead
outs irradiated even if I knew what caused the death of the colony.  Also
for queen breeding our drone combs were taken out at the end of the season
and irradiated ready for the next season.

There is a problem if honey is left in the frames and the beekeeper will be
paying for any clean up bill.

I notice in some of the posts on irradiation no dose rates are given.  It
would be helpful if dose rate are included so comparisons can be made.

Trevor Weatherhead

Australia