Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2018 17:35:05 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
some Peter Loring Borst snips followed by > my comments or questions.. 

Previous research has demonstrated the local feral stocks can exist alongside managed bees, yet maintain their genetic integrity.

>my first question would be did both group 'exist alongside' all year long? Or was it just seasonal?   

I think there is evidence for opposing views. Oldroyd et al showed that feral bees differed from highly selected bees but not from run of the mill commercial bees.

>There always is! Rather than suggest academic types resist new idea I would suggest their mindset is to ask question...most certainly concerning assumptions and methodology.  It is kind of what they do. Would you expect them to do otherwise?

>Lastly I would suggest 'culling' is often an aspect of selection we tend to overlook. In the natural habitat typically feral nest are spaced at wide intervals (may be cluster if nest sites are available) and any unit that is weak or is created at the wrong time of the season is most often culled from the population. In a commercial setting hives are more densely located and culling is typically either pathogens, pest, parasites or directly or indirectly by the beekeeper. 

Gene in Central Texas....    

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2