From:
Mary Ann Kae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2018 03:16:58 -0400
Pete -   I don't get it, on two levels.  The prophylactic use of antibiotics in mammals and birds to stimulate growth is attractive to farmers because the animal is the product.  Are some thinking it will produce a bigger bee, thus more honey? Or that it could lengthen the life of a worker bee?  Any studies?

And what of propolis? Its anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties are well known.  I'll bet hives producing heavier quantities of propolis are healthier hives.  Not a trait preferred by beeks in a hurry, I realize.  Consumers are willing to pay a premium when they know an animal product is produced without hormones or antibiotics, "free range", etc.   It seems any  advantage to subjecting apiaries to prophylactic antibiotic treatment would be short-lived and create more problems eventually.