From:
John Macdougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2018 10:06:31 +0000
Aren't we mixing up two different factors here?

The original question was whether it is better to feed 2:1 or 1:1 syrup to help draw out comb from foundation. Randy's research implies that it doesn't matter to the wax-makers (I still wonder though what the effect on the colony is - does 2:1 give the non-wax makers more work to do to dilute before feeding themselves and the wax-makers).

That led to question 1 - "Is pollen needed for consumption by wax-makers to make wax?".

That is a very different from question 2 -"Do young bees need to consume pollen in order for their fat bodies and hence wax glands to develop?". All the books say that is true. But that development occurs BEFORE they become wax-makers.

I have seen no evidence here (or elsewhere) that says the answer to question 1 is "Yes" i.e. once the bees are wax-makers they need to consume pollen in order to make wax. The fat bodies of wax-makers could become depleted over time but the bees are wax-makers for only a few days so they may not need to consume pollen to keep the fat bodies productive.

Have I missed something?

Hope that my thinking is not too garbled!

John