From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2018 06:57:22 -0400
Aaron, don’t know if it helps, but I just picked up several packages this past Thursday in western Massachusetts that were brought up from Georgia.  All looked great with very few dead bees in the packages.  When I installed them that afternoon in temps of 45F / 7C and dropping their syrup cans were almost full.  In fact, I put them over the inner cover openings, so as not to waste the contents.  Bees were flying and looked good on Saturday (we were out visiting for the holiday yesterday).  So, the bees seemed to take the cold trip fine, consuming very little syrup, and just huddled in their stacked packages in the metal building, where I picked them up.  The supplier was New England Apiaries in Southwick, MA.  Look them up.  Bill is a real nice guy, and I’m sure would share with you how he brought his north successfully so early in the season (earliest I’ve been able to get packages around here by several weeks).

We are looking at snow showers today, a warm spike mid-week up to 60F / 16C, and then more accumulating snow possible by Friday.  Still snow on the ground around here.  All hives have pollen patties on them and several frames of honey.  But, next weekend I may end up adding syrup feeders.  Latest I have ever seen them start bringing in pollen was April 17 a couple of years ago.  May break that record this year.

Bill
Claremont NH, US