Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2018 01:30:23 +0000

It seems to me we are mixing and matching data and terms.
For the sake of clarification  I propose the folowing
OAD = oa dribbleOAV = oa vaporOAG = SOme version of glycerin towels
As Pete pointed out there is some Dat that shows the OAD is hard on winter bees.   Our testing here shows that also. Keep in mind the testing is not done for science of for research,  but in furthering our plans for bees here in this region.  Last falls testing showed a very high mortality for dribbled bees.  These bees were dribbled in Oct. and survivibility in winter was poor,  only 4 out of 100 mad almonds.
Keep in mind my area is much different then Randys.  His idea of winter and mine are much different.  this year was pretty hard on bees.  lots of cold and almost 3 months of little to no flight.    What we are learning is that for my area the raising of winter bees is absolutly crucial to our operations.  to much pollen to late,  or not clearing virus loads in time is the death knell for hives.
My area and practices are different than CA or FL,  so winter bees that are absolutly healthy and can do well for 90 days and still raise brood is the key.   Last years trial of OAD while not scientific,  was disatorous enough it wont be repeated in my yards,  whereas spring OAD is still a good tool. This matches the results of the trials cited by Pete albiet a bit more severe results.  easily compounded by a bad batchof fall weather and unfortunate application timing.
This is different then OAV which we have used for many years with no ill effects,  done after brood rearing stops,  so it is done on emerged winter bees,  with zero visable downside, and good mite control.
Climate and location, location, location....  the devil is in the details
Charles