Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2019 20:33:49 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
> Data is data.  It is only the interpretations of that data that can be garbage. One huge problem that I see is databases of self-reported data, such as that of USDA and Bee Informed

It seems to me you have illustrated my point, which is that the method of collecting the data has an inalterable impact on the results. If it is skewed, biased, and/or riddled with omission, then the data set is fatally flawed and cannot produce meaningful results, no matter how much you massage it. Garbage data is a non-starter.

Take a simple example: suppose I want to know what plants are common in my area. I drive around and write down what I see. I will only see what is visible from roads which will give a data set that is skewed, and riddled with omission. I doesn't matter if I drive on every road in the county, I will see only plants which occur by roads.

Peter L Borst