From:
Michel BOCQUET <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2018 12:18:19 -0400
Hi Dick

"Has anyone generated data where they simply did a mite count "

Here is a table of the monitoring of one colony to follow varroa, nosema and bee immunity in our lab. The data give you a partial answer to your question. I take the emerging brood and see each individual cell under binocular, counting total varroa (only females) in the cell. For the bees, I shake a central frame in a returned roof and take a sample of the bees in a jar, I put the bees in alcool and see individually the bees under binocular, as I noticed that I could miss some varroa just shaking the bees in alcool.

The colony was treated by APIVAR the 7 of august, just after taking the sample : after 15 days, i do not find any varroa in the bees, but the level of varroa increased dramatically in the brood, supposed to be the consequence of the reduction of the brood surface. I counted only alive varroa (I had some dead varroa in the brood, for the first time, in last observation, as an effect of the treatment).

I calculated for you the % of the varroa seen inside the brood, it varies from 45 to 100% with a mean of 82% in this case, this experiment will be followed during a complete year.

Hope it could help

 	brood	bees
date	observed
 nymphs	Nb of
varroa	%	observed bees
Nb of varrroa	%	% varroa in brood
11/07/2018	205	8	3,90	289	0	0,00	100,0
18/07/2018	173	5	2,89	312	0	0,00	100,0
24/07/2018	450	5	1,11	330	6	1,82	45,5
07/08/2018	307	34	11,07	450	6	1,33	85,0
22/08/2018	237	14	5,91	429	8	1,86	63,6
11/09/2018	465	75	16,13	459	0	0,00	100,0

Thanks for the quality of this list

Michel BOCQUET
Beekeeping consulting +R&D
(France)