From:
Beekeepers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2018 16:44:54 +0100
>Another quote calls into question the efficacy of the EU's action on a global scale. If they were serious advocates for their beliefs they wouldn't want to stimulate demand for neonicotinoid treated products outside the EU either.

I think this misses the point - we are simply protecting our own pollinating insects.  What other do is up to their own governments.

>"The irony of the current restrictions is that it has led to the decline of oil seed rape being grown in the UK and that's reflected across the whole of Europe," Mr Hartfield said. We're not decreasing our consumption of that product; we are just importing it from outside Europe, where it is often treated with neonicotinoids. I would expect to see that continue.

Not quite the whole story; the following is from DEFRA:

'Farming Statistics
Provisional crop areas, yields and livestock populations
At June 2017 - United Kingdom

Oilseed rape: The provisional oilseed rape harvest has shown an increase of 23% to 2.2 million
tonnes in 2017.  There was a fall of 2.8% in the planted area, however the total oilseed rape yield
increased by 26%, from 3.1 tonnes per hectare in 2016 to 3.9 tonnes per hectare in 2017. This is a
return to similar yields seen in 2015.'

Here in the Midlands we are, as usual, surrounded by a sea of yellow!  Unfortunately, apart from a crazy mini heatwave a week ago, the weather has been appalling this spring - cold (max 9ºC today), wet, windy, hail, thunder.  After a very hard winter this has left colonies smaller than usual and struggling to build up.  We had hoped that the rape, now almost in full flower (a month later than usual), would help turn colonies around, but it is too bad for colonies to fly.

Farmers are really struggling - fields just a sea of mud and a large number of them not even planted.  Cattle still indoors and being fed in many cases as the grass has not grown and the ground is so soft.

It's going to be another difficult year!

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W