Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 20:02:02 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
"I think there are plenty of people who still recommend 1:1"

I agree with Peter.  There are many who continue to recommend 1:1.  However, those of us who have tried various strength sugar solutions all seem to come to the same conclusion.  Weak solutions just make you work harder for zero positive result.  As Peter says, you need to feed 35 to 50 pounds of sugar to do any real good if you are installing on foundation.  My observation by doing tests is it takes the same 35 to 50 pounds of sugar regardless of the strength used.  So, if you like working hard go ahead and use 1:1.  Even weaker will work just fine.  I have tested weaker stuff too.  If you are bone idle lazy like me try 5:3.  You do not even need hot water to get it dissolved.

The biggest error I see new people make is to feed five pounds of sugar and think they have accomplished something.  If all you are going to feed is five pounds save the effort and feed nothing at all for the same result.

I have had an absolute miserable spring so far.  Six inches of snow this week.  Last week end only some of my hives had eggs and zero larva in the ones I checked.  The latest I have ever seen a queen start to lay in the past was one that did not start until  April 1.  If I am going to get any spring harvest I need to feed probably 50 pounds of sugar per hive over the next month to simply fill the second deep with some stores or most of my spring honey will go in that deep which is not harvested.

Dick

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2