From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2018 10:08:36 -0500
> Giant commercial beekeeping setups are the equivalent of cattle feed lots.
> While its fine to keep bees anyway you like,  its really not appropriate to make declarative statements about things you don’t know about and understand.
> There was no intent to disparage anyone.

Hi all,
I agree, to describe commercial beekeeping as the equivalent of cattle feed lots, is not a disparaging remark. Many of us enjoy meat and realize that it is mass produced. Others prefer locally raised food despite that it often costs much more. But in none of this is there any disparagement implied.

On the other hand, it is quite clear that while sugar and pollen substitutes may be adequate, it is reasonable to suppose that natural resources would be preferable, based on what we know about nutrition.

Natural is not necessarily better, but on the whole, replacement diets always seem to lack something or maybe they just miss the point: food is not simply chemistry, it's biology.

PLB