From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2020 07:02:50 -0600
a Tracey Smith question followed by > some personal observations...
I'd be curious what others think. I'm looking for a biological basis for splitting up different areas of NA instead of the commonly used but somewhat arbitrary and potentially biologically irrelevant climate-related bases.

>first let me say there is a lot about pollen substitutes and honeybee nutrition that we do not know.  we have a couple of ongoing research projects at the TAMU Bee Lab on the subject and there are things we are learning that are a great surprise to me.  given how research is done I will not reveal the details of this research until the research is published.

>as to your question in regards to honeybees I would guess your point is about bio regions and what plants and consequently what pollen sources from these plants are available in a given region. it would seem to me the composition of the pollen would be most important.

>of course rearing bees in Texas (or if someone does the migratory bee thing) any question of pollen substitute getting bees ready for winter is a pretty mute question.

>lastly I guess I can identify with your 'lumper and spotter' scenario. I know a lot of graduate students who have faced the same conflict from reviewers who tell them to do opposite things.  quite typically it seem one says focus on this little point and another expand the research to include these topics or variables.

Gene temporally hanging out on the left coast...