From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2020 13:26:14 +0000
Fipronil is a very hydrocarbon loving chemical.  It is going to be dissolved in the wax and non polar things that coat the wood.  I doubt if any water wash would remove it reliably.  The only way I can think of to remove it would be to submerge the boxes in a solvent that would effectively dissolve the fipronil and any wax residues.  Something like a half hour submerged in kerosene for instance.  Then you would need to stack the boxes open to an air flow for a month to dry out the kerosene.  I would probably double dip them.  Submerge in one batch of kerosene for a half hour and a second wash in fresh kerosene immediately by submerging them for five minutes.  If the boxes are glued with titebond type glues the kerosene should not harm the glue.  This is a pretty extreme clean up I know.  I think it is needed to make those boxes safe.  Any comb would need to be burned as nothing is going to wash the chemical out of the wax that does not dissolve the wax, but wooden frames could be rescued by the same kerosene wash.

Dick