Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2019 22:33:39 +0000
Janet Wilson wrote:

"Perhaps bees in the wild were spread thinly enough on the landscape that they did not have to develop fine tuned "what is my home" skills.? They were oriented to their nest, the nest was not moved, and it would be unusual to encounter another hive nearby."

Generally 'wild' colonies tend to spread themselves about half a mile apart.  My own observations agree with Tom Seeley's on this.There are occasional exceptions but they are rare.
Chris