From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2019 14:32:42 -0400
Here is an example from two dark honeydew honeys (2017, 2018) that I got tested with Peter Awram's lab NMR last year. The 1st one definitely does not fit into any of the nearly 2000 European honeydews in the Bruker database.

Sample 1 was from 2017 - It was flagged in a couple of areas.
Univariate Verification - Not consistent (not really sure what this means)
Very high Malic Acid @ 4634 mg/kg (this likely indicates something to do with the origin and how the bees processed the honeydew)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRK3WmDLXAYYnNoTk9LRlZ0LXhQWDNpdHBYbzllS2ZWcmpJ

Sample 2 was from 2018 - no flags and consistent with other European honeydews
High Malic Acid - 1228 mg/kg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRK3WmDLXAYTVBFNEEzaTZJamxVLTZXVmp4NGtYZnhwRG1v

Note: I share to learn. If you have any insights or interesting observations on these reports please share freely with the group. I spent Thursday afternoon with Slovenian, Bulgarian and Polish honey people sampling some of my honey trying to get more insight on origins and learning more about honeydews. The Polish group offered to take back some of my samples for further analysis. I will be sending my 2019 June flow honey to Peter's lab next week, this one will likely not fit into typical floral honeys (maybe some of the Scandinavian types).

Apimondia: Slovenian, Bulgarian and Polish Opinions:
Sample 1 - Deciduous (Slovenians), Pine (Polish) - it is likely a mixed source honeydew
Sample 2- Spruce (all 3)
Sample 3- Delicious, definitely floral but no idea of origin (likely lingonberry and other northern boreal forest wildflowers)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YBNSr14U-b-724DOpfA1Vth5JzCooJmA

If you are curious to learn more about your honeys (Canadians) don't hesitate to send samples into Peter's lab, it will give you a whole different area to learn about. It's not just about fake honey but you might actually discover your bee produce something very different and special. - https://truehoney.buzz/