Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2019 19:06:32 -0400
Hi all
I merely brought this topic up to show that some bee breeders have considered the possibility of creating new combinations. I think we are getting bogged down in terminology. Ruttner wrote

The bee is similar to plants in another respect, namely in the great number of
descendants from a single stock. Hybrid breeding can therefore be attempted
without difficulties with the honeybee; among other domesticated animals only
poultry offer conditions as favourable.

Experience so far available with crosses between bees of different geographical
origins impressively confirms the results from other fields of breeding. The
heterosis effect occurs in honeybees frequently, but not always, and is never predictable.

Greater vitality and increased brood rearing and honey yield may be noted as
positive results of crosses between races, and increased aggressiveness and
swarming tendency as negative results.

In countries where the bees have already been hybridized by earlier importations,
or where the indigenous bee is of poor economic value, the quality can
be considerably raised by using selected strains or controlled hybrids.

In many areas, selection from the local bee race, or the production
of hybrids from different ecotypes of the same race, will be preferable to the use
of interracial hybrids.

Ruttner, F. (1968). Methods of breeding honeybees: Intra-racial selection or inter-racial hybrids?. Bee World, 49(2), 66-72.