Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2018 04:17:58 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
a couple of Charles Linder snips followed by > my comments... 
Pete  my point is simple,  but for guys with advanced degrees,  you just cannot see it.  While these publications are probably not really Science based,  the general public that reads them,  belives they are. 

>seems to me Charles you are wanting it both ways... that is the ability to bash scientist here and there but only support the opinion of scientist when it fits you agenda.  Admittedly we can all analyze and come to some end conclusion about some study or data that may seem quite contradictory... or have some question about how the study was done (methodology) which may make OUR final conclusion waffle a bit from here to there...

Take "vast monoculture"  a complete junk term with no basis,  repeated enough times its now standard lexicon in most forage conversations.

>Well not really Charles but you bottom line agenda seems to always point in the same direction... that is 'junk science' if it contradicts you OPINION but stellar work if it concurs with your position. 

Now anyone who knows a darn thing about farming knows this is a flat out LIE.  There is zero difference in organics vs conventional when it comes to material other than grain,  harvesting is the same.

>Perhaps using words less inflammatory than LIE might help if you wish to pitch your position to a broader audience.  As to 'Zero difference' perhaps you should reconsider this statement. Perhaps a basic course in soil science might have altered you OPINION here????

"its not the mites"  was almost instantly reverberated on Facebook, despite the reality the Science clearly shows otherwise.

>I think a lot of folks are wondering if the virus associated with varroa is not more of a problem (past, present and future tense) than varroa by itself.  And science says a lot of things... and if history repeats itself much of what we now KNOW will at some future point in time will be seen as incorrect...

So we believe the Science,  Monsanto is horrible,  Jerry hays sold out,  Lithum is great mite treatment, ETC.  the snippets reported are the ones the readers note.

>I guess you should speak for yourself since none of the above is true for myself or any serious beekeeper (hobby, sideliner or commercial operation) that I know.  All of these players are information based decision makers but certainly the source and content of the information they receive may vary quite a bit.  With the proper tone (you need not apply at this point) one can correct their misconception or broaden their perspective if you have the time and desire to do so.  Personally I respect Jerry quite a bit and understand his move to industry. His Class Room series in the ABJ speaks for itself.  Secondly and imho the corporate folks around operation like Monsanto (now Bayer??) are on the top of my list as folks who are great to work with or for. It is quite humbling to have the opportunity to work with folks that are at the top of their game, dedicated to solving problems and extremely professional.... 

Gene... and as to be expected confused in Central Texas   

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2