Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2017 20:49:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
background: piedmont north carolina, temps generally in 50s daytime, 30s/40s nights.

in hive #1, i have 3 grease patties in a line on one side of the hive on top of the frames, fondant on the other on top of the frames. on the same side of the hive as the grease patties, i find mites in the oil tray. on the other side of the hive where the fondant is, none are in the tray.

in hive #2, i have a candy board that covers the full width/length of the hive. on one side of the hive, i have 3 grease patties in a line on top of the frames. on the same side of the hive as the grease patties, i find mites in the oil tray. 

i had heard anecdotally that bees contacting  grease patties “caused” mites to fall off but couldn’t find supporting evidence (and i was skeptical). anyhow, if true, i would’ve expected to see mites in all areas of the tray, not localized directly under the patties.

i’m looking for a hypothesis why the mites are falling in the oil tray under the patties: (1) they fall off on immediate contact with the patties or (2) the bees are territorial and don’t move anywhere else in the hive but the frames where they “live”.

is #1 or is #2 hypothesis valid? or is there another i’ve not thought of.

thanks!

lee bumgarner
[log in to unmask]
sent from my iphone. pls excuse terseness, abbreviations, & typos.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2