Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2017 06:33:00 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
a Jerry Bromenshenk snip followed by> my comments or questions... 
Since I'm at a Liberal Arts University, we have no Apiculture library.  You've got access to a world class one.  FYI, my Ph.D. was actually in Entomology, more specifically insect behavior or ethology.  I remember reading articles about experiment that addressed bee perception of diurnal events and time, including ones in which bees were isolated in dark rooms, shipped from one hemisphere to another in the dark on ocean-going ships, etc.

>Well I am incarcerated at a major ag university and we have no apiculture library here either...except the small collection at the bee lab which no one in their right mind would call a library.  As an ethologist Jerry (my wife background and she worked for one of the three europeans who won the nobel for their early pioneering work in the field) you might suggest to ALL that you don't reflect human perception and feeling onto other species < you or I may think it 'looks' dark but this does not mean (a fact I would guess anyone who has moved bees early early in the morning is well aware???) it 'looks' pitch dark to the bees. Personally I would toss out smell since bees will brood up in very cold northern climate long before anything that appears to us as a smell occurs. I see no one has mentioned night time cycle and finally just because human can not easily measure the changing length of day and night does not mean this is also something bees do not perceive. Discounting 'small changes' in day and night also has the smell of anthropomorphic bias.

This would be old studies, it's 44 years since I was in Grad School, but I know that  they exist.  Can you find them for those of us on the List?  It would be a great Holiday present.

>The current bias Jerry is... if it is not searchable by a computer search algorithm it does not exist.

Gene in Central Texas

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2