From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2019 15:36:44 -0400
Seth, this is not a very representative sample of anything, but EFB hit my apiary just as I was doing swarm control splits. I take the old queen out and let her colony raise up queen cells...keeps the old girl safe and everyone at home. The EFB was confirmed with the Vita Life test kits.

This is usually a slam dunk for me and I get about 90%+ return of mated queens by the end of the process. Not this year.

Any hive that started queen cells as the EFB hit failed to raise queens. The cells were unusually small and there were fewer queen cells than usual.

I have not seen written anywhere that "queen larvae fed EFB contaminated brood food tend to fail" but in my little apiary that seems to have been the case this year.

As a contrast, a colony that had to be split while on OTC raised 16 big, beautiful queen cells. Alas all on one frame!