Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2019 09:27:26 -0500
> But, can you find pure A.m.m. in the U.S. anymore?   Seems most bees are now hybrids even within their own supposedly pure lines.

Exactly. In fact, there are only a few refugia where "pure races" of honey bees survive. Efforts are underway to identify and protect those populations as biological treasures. The majority of honey bee populations throughout the world are of mixed background. Even so-called Italian bees -- in Italy -- are a hybridized population with roots in A. m. m. (see: P. FRANCK, L. GARNERY, & al, 2000).

One thing to bear in mind is that particular genetic differences do not necessarily underpin behavioral differences since profound genetic variance can be caused by genetic drift in isolated populations. Secondly, the genetic components of behavioral differences have not yet been identified nor has it been shown that so-called acclimation is not simply a behavioral response to environmental conditions.

For example, if I build a fire to stay warm, I haven't adapted to the cold; nor would staying inside during the day to avoid heat qualify as an adaptation -- it's a response. On the other hand, clustering in cavities by cold climate honey bees is an adaptation, as is absconding and migration to better forage -- which hot climate honey bees do.

We select livestock and crops for the qualities we desire, this is not evolution but artificial selection. By this technique we "create" varieties that would be unlikely to ever develop through evolution. A giant turkey that can barely walk would not have much chance out in the woods. Still, I see scant evidence that humans have significantly altered populations of HBs. In fact, selection for hygienic behavior in Australia had little long term impact (see: Keryn Wilkes & Dr. Ben Oldroyd, 2002).

Peter L Borst 🐝