Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2019 06:27:50 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
a Janet L. Wilson snip followed by > my comments
I do a lot of population and frame management to maximize my honey yields and typically get closer to 50+ lb. per hive. But I am pretty confident I could never push them to gather 100.

>I would suggest in most places (there are exceptions of course) any beekeeper (no matter what the skill or experience level) would have a difficult time producing and collecting a hundred pound per hive crop and still leave enough on a hive to make the season.  Of course you can always strip whatever salable honey there is from a hive and feed great quantities of syrup.  The average honey production here in Texas is 75# per hive and that is only because in most years a beekeeper could (I do not*) move the bees to the tallow down along the gulf coast and greatly increase their per hive yield < number and average being calculated as they are the average may be more like half this number.

>Even around the so called commercial crowd who crow about their per hive production you have to wonder how much HFCS is mix in with their honey since most never remove the 1 extra wide feeder/deep box from their hives.  

>At least here there is a distinct advantage in having hives in urban area and this is primarily about water availability in the dry summer months.  Most of my hives are way out in the 'sticks' and those around irrigated crops like those in town around folks house that water lawns and gardens always do a significant bit better.

>*to do this requires a lot of effort in the hot portion of the year and more importantly you take on a lot more physical and business risk. The reward is a second quality honey that you have to blend with good honey just to sell that stuff.  Tallow honey also has the reputation of being 'wet' so it also requires special equipment to reduce the water content of the honey.  Flooding in the area is always a large concern.

Gene in Central Texas...   

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2