From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2018 09:18:19 -0500
Listening again to Daves presentation as I can,   right around the 41 minute mark is real interesting where he talks about working to select queens with low viral loads, in the hopes that will mean more robust queens and lower virus going forward.

Quite a departure from the thought that weak production queens are making sick bees!

47 minute mark where he talks about making sure they are not inbreeding by counting alleles.

52 minute mark where he mentions establishing a baseline.

The 56 min mark is key,  where he points out that emergency queens are often the OLDEST larvae as it hatched first. As Dave points out  opposing selection criteria is a problem with supercedure queens timing vs quality!

I am usually very pleasantly surprised at the efforts of people, in this case queen breeders, once you dig deep enough to actually learn what's happening!

One of the videos that’s well worth the watch!

Charles