Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2018 12:47:59 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
>We have exceptionally low loss rates in our operation--virtually none due to mites, disease, or starvation.  Our main losses are due to queen failure (a minimal amount) or our own culling of poorly-performing colonies. Randy

To barrow a term in the news "me too" and so do a good number of other conscientious beekeepers. So it seems to me we should look to their practices. You can learn about all you need to know at Randy's site. Many other authoritative sources are available to anyone that really wants to be successful. Too many want to find some cosmic mysterious cause of colony loss when in fact it is nearly always TLTL (too little too late) or for many, not much on this list fortunately, they are in denial about mites and basic bee biology and care. Lightning does occasionally strike but it is rare and deserves vigorous research. It does not hit 40% of the beekeepers in any given year.

When surveys say that beekeeper losses for those that monitored and treated are the same or greater than those that did nothing I quit reading because the survey is basically flawed in some profound way and the conclusions are false, IMHO. Try fallowing the book as prescribed by successful beekeepers for a few years and see if it works.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA     

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2