Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:11:13 -0500
From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Their results show that mites have to be controlled in summer, and that a follow up with liquid oxalic in December is beneficial. The worst mortality was among those who applied 60% formic in fall followed by oxalic in winter. The most successful beekeepers applied 85% formic in August, and followed up with oxalic in winter. The most crucial factor is summer control. All of them used liquid oxalic in December, so the effect of this is unknown.

That seems to be quite a contradiction that needs further explanation?   Worst is 60% formic followed By winter OA and best is 85%?   Only way that makes any logical sense was the 60% didn’t work??
Which is interesting because these did have a fall (August) treatment of 65% formic,  which did a typical spotty job.  The goal of the late October OA dribble was a really clean hive in winter,  the bees were already in pretty good shape.

If you play at all with Randys spreadsheet,  you quickly learn the only real way to be successful is a clean spring start.  Towards that the concept of IPM is IMO worthless,  with our number of hives its not even a concept we are pondering.  The one and only goal is preventive planning.  Much like farming,  we have found if you wait to long,  recovery is much harder if not impossible.

Many discussions with seriously successful beekeepers is showing the same thought process.  No waiting,  stay ahead.  Which is and was the goal of the dribble.

Don,  my cohort,  had the plan to Vaporize every time he moves the hives (pollinator so 4 moves a summer)  thinking that knockback would keep them clean.  A few hours with the spreadsheet showed that would only work if he starts with a 1 in March,  even then it was a bit dicey on fall numbers.

My self,  going with 3 full treatments this spring/summer   Vapors when they hit the ground next week,  3 rounds 4 days apart,   Dribble on the splits at 19 days,  and other treatments thru spring and summer.

Charles