From:
Matthew Waddington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2018 22:00:08 -0500
Randy--

Could you enlarge on that answer a little?

1.) If in fact (and I see that the jury is still out on this, and the opposite might be true) some researchers (and it sounds like Australians) are finding far more honey productive hives after irradiation and the reduction of pathogens, wouldn't that be a potentially prudent course to follow where feasible? I i understand it is not feasible in the USA at this time- but if it were- or facilities were available-wouldn't that be something you would consider if you were raising bees for honey?

2.) Like everyone, I've done my best to read through your voluminous writings- which are awesome and a great education (thank you!). One of the key ideas you've discussed is the constant morphing of DWV. In addition, if I understand correctly, two primary strains of the virus are now identified, with very different levels of mortality. Is it the thought that the more virulent version is everywhere now, and not worth trying to prevent, or is there the chance that one might find it in one's own apiary, and worth whatever precautions can be taken to kill? If it only takes 30 days to kill DWV (and this was not yet confirmed by the Manitobans), wouldn't that be a prudent thing to do? Obviously not a for sure thing- but still a good idea?

3.) Or- and this sounds like what you are saying- is that entire idea wrong headed, if one hive has a more virulent version, then they all do, and not worth the hassle to isolate a dead out?

Again- I am saying this from two experiences with my hives  that have happened more than once- one in seeing CPBV move through a small apiary, one hive to the next, only stopping when I took the hives out, and two, seeing often enough the same thing with varoosis and DWV- apparently spreading to adjacent hives, not jumping. You note that you remove sick hives to their own yards- why would one do that if it weren't trying to prevent the spread of a disease? Or are there other reasons?

Being a hobbyist beekeeper, I don't mind babysitting a hive or two, but would also not like to do anything unnecessary or wrongheaded, and would very much like to hear your advice regarding the management of dead outs (with dead bees, dead capped larva, honey stores, etc).

Thank you!

Matthew Waddington/Duvall WA