Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2017 09:50:21 -0400
> I have been successful keeping single 5 framers over the winter here in
> Massachusetts. They have to be heavy with honey, when you lift them they
> feel like a cinder block, but with carnolians, they generally survive.

Agree with Cam, even here in coastal Maine but the key is carnolians. I
have had great success with NWC but have not had them for several years
since I decided to go with a  local bee supplier and grow my own from
there. The key is slow buildup in spring with the carnies. My muts need a
little more help in the spring. With the local mixed race bees the minimum
is a deep with a super full of honey and even that is iffy without spring
feed.

BTW- some no treatment beekeepers who sell nucs do use Seeley's "method" by
splitting their hives and selling the old queen split. That leaves them
with reduced Varroa loads and they can get by with that for another year
without treatment. Only the buyers seem to have problems after a bit with
their no-treatment hives.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine