From:
Jose Villa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:28:07 -0700
I asked Lilia de Guzman at the Baton Rouge bee lab for her opinion on
the topic of the apparent disappearance of tracheal mites.  She sent me
this table used in a talk at the Entomological Society of America in
2019, mostly from colonies in Louisiana, but a few other states.  It
confirms my earlier statement that by the mid 2000s they were hard to
find at high levels.  She also included a summary table of data over
the last 10 years from Oregon (30 colonies each year).  There the
disappearance happened around 2017.  She points out that A. dorsalis is
still around and more common.....

I suspect there is still a lot of susceptibility in US bees to A. woodi.
Hawaii shipped hundreds of thousands of queens yearly to the mainland
and those bees were demonstrably on the susceptible side.  I believe
someone (Bill Wilson et al.?) showed early on that Amitraz is effective
against tracheal mites and even the first incarnation (Miticur) was
possibly marketed as not only controlling varroa but also tracheal
mites.

Cottonwood Creek Apiaries
P. O. Box 1032
Crestone, CO 81131