Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2018 10:55:36 -0500
  Answering the title - pros and cons of early build-up - I am on the con
side but only because I do not want an early buildup. If I was commercial
or if I needed lots of honey, then I might change my mind.

What I find too often with new hobby beekeepers is they seldom ask Why? but
see the experts talk about early feeding and spring buildup and think that
is what they should do. And they end up with early swarming so lose most of
what they set out to do, which is increase the number of bees as quickly as
possible, while half or more fly off to create a new colony. Most new - as
well as old timers- do not manage swarm prevention very well. So the net
gain is really a loss.

When I do try to build them up is to take advantage of an early swarm so I
can split them early (before swarming) and have a head start on buildup for
the splits.

So why are you doing it? I do not bother and get everything I want from my
bees- pollination first and honey second. But I do manage my bees to have
large colonies in spring by controlling what they store up for the winter
which I consider the best management practice for success for the year.
Which is what George Imire taught and it works. (
http://www.pinkpages.chrisbacherconsulting.com/)

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine