From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2017 20:12:23 -0400
Bee-Liners;

I am reading the Novermber 2017 issue of Fine Homebuilding (issue # 270)
and they have a good article on breathing protection on the job site
entitled 'Breathing Difficulties'.  According to the article it is
difficult to get good information on performance of various respirators.
They do list cartridge types:  white for acid gas, yellow for organic
vapors and acid gas.  This makes me wonder about the proper degree of
protection for using Oxalic Acid vapors.  I read somewhere where one OA
vapor  user said light a smoker and see which way the wind is blowing and
stand upwind when vaporizing......  I don't think that will make the grade
with OSHA. I also see where full mask powered air purifying respirators
(PAPRs) start at $400.

I was just in Moldova and posted photos (on FB) of some beekeepers
injecting OA vapors in a small hole in the hive body from an enclosed burn
chamber - much better I think than open burning in the entrance.  They told
me a successful 'burn' happens when vapors exude from underneath the top
cover, potentially into their face if you think about it, as they are
standing next to the hive when burning the OA - almost by definition with
most vaporizers, right?  However, these guys were using surplus Russian
army gas masks, and no telling how old the cartridges were in them.

I am just curious, as I think breathing protection should be factored in to
the cost of vaporizing OA and it continues to make me nervous.  Does anyone
have good information on proper breathing protection for OA vaporization?
I have seen some vaporizers with long handles too - which must be better
than the short handled ones with open pans for burning.  Just curious.

Bill Lord
BeekeepingConsultingForDevelopment
Louisburg, NC