From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2017 14:04:07 -0400
Robb also found that bleach was good for disinfecting combs, as well as heat above 120F - re: Nosema ceranae.

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert
Missoula, Mt

The idea that N apis has disappeared is based on inexperience.  All of our data says it's still around - in the places and at the time of year that it historically expressed itself.  Many of those new to Nosema when looking at N. ceranae lacked the knowledge that N apis was not detectable year round - never has been.

If you see spores, you can be sure you've at least got Nosema ceranae since we've never seen it to not be in any samples with spores.  The question rather is - do you also have N. apis.  These days, actually since mid-2000s, we NEVER see N. apis without N. ceranae also being present.   But N. apis is still around.