Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 12:46:31 -0400
> > Here is what happens in a city (or in a commercial beekeeping operation)
> when most colonies are not treated for mites. Colonies with lots of mites
> start to decline at the end of the season, and colonies that have been
> treated and have low mite levels remain strong. The strong colonies start
> robbing out from neighboring colonies (within 1-2 miles!) that are weak.
> The robbing bees carry home stored honey, and they also carry home mites
> from the weak colony. Soon, even previously treated and healthy colonies
> have high mite levels before winter, and then die off, leaving the
> beekeeper perplexed.

I do not disagree with that at all, but the mite levels- actual mites after
OAV - were still low after the "bomb". The numbers will grow over winter,
but, with those levels, the hive should make it. But, if the infected bees
from away carry disease, then all bets are off, becasue in a tight cluster,
which we experience in the late fall, transmission to other bees is
"viral". Which is why I saw dead diseased bees in front of the hive. They
were more likely from away.

My colonies were all strong, which is why when I saw they were being
"robbed" it did not make sense.When I postulated that they were being
invaded, it made sense.You will have the same response.

I am only pointing out that we now know that dead and dying colonies' bees
move to other hives in the area, which was not recognized then, and that
may have as large or larger impact than more mites in the hive. It
certainly explains to me why  after I treated in October, all is well
again.No losses.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine