From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2017 14:21:15 -0500

> Last April I saw a queen on an inner cover popping out eggs and nurse bees
> behind her eating those eggs. I was behind schedule on space management and
> the brood nest was plugged up and she had no room to lay.
>
> I had a three deep frame observation hive a few years back, mainly for
fun. One year the hive got packed. Every cell was full. I was watching to
see what they'd do. The queen stood in one spot, flat on the comb,
surrounded by her court, and was just dropping eggs. Laying them straight
into the air, as they were dropping to the floor of the observation hive.
One egg dropped every 10 seconds or so. I watched her for about 3 min, and
she didn't move. Just standing there, laying eggs. It was a remarkable
thing to watch.

I imagine it was a very similar situation. She was a young queen and just
wanted to get going.