Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:10:41 +0300
8bit
From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Hi everyone !

Some months ago I was asking comments and references for Oxalic Acid
Vapor machines.  I was looking for way to make OAV with somehow
temperature controlled system and preferred with gas heating. Also I did
not want to mix OA with anything else in process (like alcohol) Thanks
for suggestions and comments.

I ended up buying two machines for trials, one with individual loading
of OA/ hive and other with just heating OA and directing the gas into
hives.

Individual treatment machine

http://www.oharkovi.com/index.php/en/beekeeping/varrojet-commercial-vaporizer-gas

just producing OAV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOqSCLwkubw

The plan is to try both and see which one suits my operation best.
I am quite familiar with instructions and research for OAV, but have not
seen studies comparing treatment with entrances closed / open.

Does any of you have seen comparative studies about treating hives with
or without closing the entrances?

Also all personal experiences welcome. Measured experiences preferred :)

I ask because in big operation closing + opening the entrances means a
lot of hours.  As far as I know the general view of effect of OAV comes
from cooling OAV vapor making small OA crystals on hive surfaces and
bees. This should happen very fast after OAV comes out from sublimator
as air temperature in hive is so much lower.  So why need to close
entrance and wait?

I do easily see the reason to do this in controlled research to be able
to define the exact amount of oxalic that stayed in hive, but wonder if
there is really much difference in real life as many users report good
efficacy with different amounts. Bees seem to tolerate a bit more easily
and mites get killed quite well with a bit less.

Ari Seppälä
Finland
where last indoor wintered hives are coming out today, willows not yet
flowering