Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2017 02:28:32 +0000
From:

    On Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:23 PM, Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  The vast majority of beetles in your hive grew up within 20
> feet of the hive.
>
> I don't want to sound combative, but do you have any citation or
publication to back that up?

Worse than a citiation,  experince,  and a darn lot of it.  I wonder at times why we take the words of "experts"  because they write papaers,  but those who actually know don't...  biut no worries  all good.
the concept of them crawling on hot asphalt is insane and inacuarate,  they are extremly ( the larva) suseptible to heat and light.  Full sun on larve they die withing minutes.  usualy around 10-15  but as litle as 5 minutes in good sun.   I suspect  part of the quick death is the exertion they spend to get out of it.  At night they will and do crawl distances,  but not usualy very far.  can they travel hundreds of feet?  yes,  but its not normal.  In fact rare they crawl of a 30 foot pad.  add sun and its a non issue.   Most will drop to teh soil in the dark,  and only crawl a foor or two.  If ther is good grass growing the soil is perfect for them in my region.  if its a yard that needs a weedeater during the season it will be problemaatic.   Gaurdstars issue is poor soil life   which is why its allowed.   it washes out quick,  and its hard on bees so application can be problematic.
Beetles are strong flyers,  and travel with clusters and swarms   and they do come from others  Wild hives they actualy pupate in the detrius in the hive.  they also prefer to lay eggs in brood first,  pollen second  and other places in the hive only when conditions (temp and humidity ) are correct.  That said,  the few beetles that come in from other hives are generally not what takes the hive down.  its the ones that grow up under the hive that get you.   Delayed pupation  is a huge misdirection for us as humans.  we see a couple and then suddenly a lot,  we assume they came from elsewhere  Not the case,  they were pupating and  condidtions get right and boom,  beetle populations jump overnight.
I have been testing theories and issues for 3  seasons now.     As to this point,  take an infected pallet and put in a yard thats clean.  10 feet spacing.   the population on that pallet will climb,  the other pallets will stay clean for quite a while
In my area full sun is not a perk,  and hive pupolation is not a key factor either,  although deensly packed hives do a better job at keeping them from the broodnest.   Once adult beetles start roaming the broodnest un attacked,  the hive is in deep dodo.     working out details  seems 0-50 is a mild infestation. 50 -150 moderate,  and over 150  severe and likely to perish,  no matter the bee population.  collapse is quick...  once the betles hit severe  in can be as little as 24 hours as eggs hatch and bees leave.....   I can go on if you have specific questions....
Charles