From:
Dennis LaMonica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2017 23:32:06 -0500
>>Has anyone on here received CNG certification for their apiary? Is it
worth
the hassle?

>>While US based beekeepers may not be eligible to become certified organic,
we can still apply to become Certified Naturally Grown, as certification
for apiaries is permitted.

http://www.cngfarming.org/apiary

We investigated the possibility of being CNG certified as to distinguish
our products from the apiary products of others.

The requirements to be CNG certified appear to be arbitrary and
capricious.  (such as hive orientation or hive stand height esp. in earlier
versions of the standards)

But we thought there may be  benefit to our business from the public's
viewpoint.  Some certification re: 'natural' and 'certified'.

What cinched the decision for us was the requirement for wax moths under
'Permitted':

CNG Apiary standards Link:
http://www.cngfarming.org/apiary_standards

*14.*(h) Wax Moths. Greater and Lesser Wax Moth females lay eggs en-mass on
or close to wax which contains pollen (brood comb), both on bee hives and
on stored comb. Eggs hatch in 3 – 5 days, and larvae destroy brood comb by
tunneling at the base of cells containing pollen and honey bee pupal skins.
During pupation, their cocoons cause minor damage to woodenware. Freezing
kills all stages of Wax Moths.

   - Recommended – Utilize sunlight exposure in stored honey supers to
   prevent comb damage by Wax Moths and avoid indoor storage until
   appropriately cold ambient temperatures (< 50° F) are reached.  Avoid the
   storage of any comb containing pollen off of a hive to prevent wax moth
   damage.  If it must be stored off of a hive, store brood comb in fresh air,
   exposed to sunlight.  Cut out any damaged sections of stored comb, freeze
   the frame for 24 hours, and place it into a strong colony for repair.
   - Permitted – Trapping adult moths with an external trap [Appendix III].
   The use of organic biological insecticide spray, *Bacillus thuringeinsis*
    subsp. *aizawai* (XenTari, Able, Agree WG) which kills Lepidoptera
   larva to prevent comb damage by Wax Moth larvae is allowed, but
   discouraged.  Stacking damaged comb over fire ant nests will allow the fire
   ants to clean up the comb and kill any wax moth larvae, but be careful!
   - Specifically Prohibited – Paradichlorobenzene (PDB) crystal fumigation
   of stored comb. Aluminum phosphide (Phostoxin) fumigation. Glacial acetic
   acid fumigation. Moth ball or naphthalene fumigation.

​CNG is recommending the use of BT aizawai for stored combs, I believe, is
not approved anywhere in N. America where approval is required and not
approved in the US and Canada​.  Although BT aizawai (BT401/Certan) may be
approved in Europe and ok for use on combs for control of wax moth,  the
products that CNG cites: XenTari, etc. are NOT approved.  Anywhere for
comb.  And although BT aizawai may be a component of Xen Tari, etc., the
consequences of 'inert' or 'other' ingredients is even considered.  The
inert ingredients cannot be washed off honey stored in comb like washing
off a potato.

If YOU wish to use a product such as XenTari, that is YOUR business, right
or wrong.  To have a agency certifying 'Naturally Grown' recommending this
off label use, is just wrong.

Arbitrary and capricious?

Also the certification process is a bit odd:

https://certified.naturallygrown.org/documents/Inspection_InfoApiary.pdf

You can get CNG certified by your customers (??):

>>"Customers (three or more) Make the inspection an open house for your
customers, and be sure at least three of them are prepared to follow the
inspection worksheets and complete the report. The inspection forms are
designed to walk people who don’t know a lot about beekeeping through a
meaningful inspection process. "

The CNG certification may look good on your product and may lead a customer
to believe something more natural about your product, the CNG certification
has no real meaning.  And you spend $200 to dupe your customers with a CNG
sticker.

Our takeaway is that this may give an edge in marketing only because it
sounds good to the public.

In our opinion, the requirements for certification are arbitrary and
capricious and misleading the public.  But it may make you feel good...

I would look forward to input from the CNG Staff and Board:

http://www.cngfarming.org/staff_and_board:

Dennis
Very Western NYS, USA