HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dietrich, Emily" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:26:15 +0000
Hello All!
I am organizing a session with Jodi Barnes and Kimberly Wooten on climate stories. The session is sponsored by the Heritage at Risk Committee (HARC) for the Society for Historical Archaeology and feel free to forward to other folks who might be interested.
The upcoming SHA meeting will be a Virtual conference held January 6-9, 2021. Click here (https://sha.org/conferences/)  for more information on the conference and see below for HARC session abstract.

Three-Minute Climate Stories: Sharing Place-Based Perspectives on Heritage at Risk
Sponsored by SHA Heritage at Risk Committee

Climate change is place-based. As archaeologists, we have an intimate knowledge of places and their deep histories, positioning us to tell meaningful climate stories. Our experiences connect the science of climate change to the lives of people. For this session, please submit a 3-minute video highlighting your climate story. We have provided some general questions you can use to tell your climate story and/or to talk about the ways archaeology contributes to our understanding of heritage at risk.

  *   Who are you and where do you live? Tell us about your site and its local environment. Why is it important to you and your community?
  *   How is climate change impacting the site? How can you see climate change archaeologically?
What archaeological methods and theories are you using to uncover climate stories?

  *   What changes have you made when accessing site conditions and/or changes to field work methods?
  *   How are you engaging communities in the research?
  *   How has the threat of loss increased community concerns or the significance of your site?
  *   How do you imagine the future? What role does archaeology play in addressing climate change?
This session will be a series of videos followed by discussion. Sarah Miller and other archaeologists will provide commentary and discussion on the video series. For this session, submit an abstract for a 3-minute video. Please send us your abstract by Monday, August 3rd.

If interested please contact either me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Jodi Barnes at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, or Kimberly Wooten at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Stay Safe!
Emily "Emma" Dietrich
Public Archaeology Outreach Coordinator
FPAN East Central Region
904-392-8065
@Fpaneastcentral

This email contains CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us by reply email and delete this email from your records. Furthermore, the contents of this email do not necessarily represent official policy of Flagler College.