HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2020 11:54:40 -0700

For Immediate Release

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Some Thank-Yous

Arizona Humanities-National Endowment for the Humanities CARES Act Award to
Old Pueblo

Updated Link to Bedrock and Boulder Mortars, Basins, Slicks, and Cupules
Article in Old Pueblo Archaeology Bulletin 81

Some Online Resources While We’re Practicing Social Distancing

Upcoming Activities

’O’odham and Maricopa Place Names Books

Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s Youth Education Programs

Our Mission and Support

Opt-Out Options

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center is recognized as a 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit organization under the U.S. tax code, so donations and
membership fees are tax-deductible up to amounts specified by law. Please
visit  <http://www.oldpueblo.org/forms/donorfrm.php>
www.oldpueblo.org/forms/donorfrm.php to make a contribution – Your donations
help us continue to provide hands-on education programs in archaeology,
history, and cultures for children and adults!
      This communication was posted to a listserve and does not include any
illustrations. If you would like to receive versions of Old Pueblo’s monthly
“upcoming activities” emails that contain color photos and other
illustrations pertaining to the activities, you can subscribe to our email
address book by visiting Old Pueblo’s  <http://www.oldpueblo.org>
www.oldpueblo.org home page and scrolling down to the “Subscribe” box to
enter your name and email address. (You can unsubscribe from our activities
emailings any time you wish.)

SOME THANK YOUs

      This month we thank the following folks (in somewhat alphabetical
order) who have joined or rejoined Old Pueblo Archaeology Center as members
or who have made donations to support our general education programs since
our last email broadcast on June 1st:  Connie Allen-Bacon, Mike Bencic,
Denis Boon, Roger Boren, Mike Bremer, Jim & Marie Britton, Larry & Corky
Bull, Elizabeth Butler, David Campbell, Cynthia Cobb, Krieger Conradt, Bill
& Carol Cox, Al Dart, Marge & Dave Delker, Sue Durling, Joy & Gilbert Facio,
Butch Farabee, Alan Ferg, Paul & Suzy Fish, Kim & Dave Gilles, Pat Gilman &
Paul Minnis, Ginny Gisvold, Tom Hannagan, George Harding, Sharlot Hart,
Rebecca Heisler & Dan Drake, Sally Hocker, Mary Jane Hopkinson, Meredith
Jewett, Mitch Kagen, Lynda Klasky, Bill & Becky LaMear, Melissa Loeschen,
Alston Lundgren, Mary Jo McMullen, Jim McWilliams, Lynda Sánchez, Ralph &
Esther Milnes, Dave Peterson & Wynne Brown, Jan Prinz, Clive Probert & Janis
Symmers, Lynn Ratener, John & Anne Rother, Peter Schmidt & Sherry Terrell,
Jane Swicegood, Marianne Vivirito & Ross Iwamoto, P. K. Weis, Pat & Dick
Wiedhopf, and Christopher Zimmerman.
      Thank you all so much!

. . . AND A BIG THANK YOU TO ARIZONA HUMANITIES AND THE NATIONAL ENDOWMENT
FOR THE HUMANITIES FOR THE CARES ACT AWARD TO OLD PUEBLO

      Since 1997, Old Pueblo Archaeology Center has been the recipient of
multiple grants provided by Arizona Hu­man­i­ties, formerly known as the
Arizona Humanities Coun­cil. The grants have provided funding for Old Pueblo
to provide classroom scholarships that allow schools with high percentages
of students from low-income families to have their students participate in
our children’s education programs, and to provide archae­ology workshops for
teachers.
      The March 2020 business-closure orders issued by the City of Tucson
and the State of Arizona to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus
pandemic that hit the United States earlier this year forced Old Pueblo to
cancel all of our remaining children’s education programs, archaeological
site tours, and public presentations that had been scheduled for mid-March
through May. Those closures resulted in serious losses of revenues generated
by the children’s programs and by donations we had anticipated for the tours
and presentations.
      On April 29, Arizona Humanities launched its CARES Act Emergency Grant
Program to help sup­port cultural organizations affected by the COVID-19
crisis. Arizona Humanities’ CARES Act emergency grants were offered to
provide unrestricted program and operational support of up to $10,000 for
humani­ties-focused cultural nonprofit organizations in Arizona. The grant
funds, originating through the National Endowment for the Humanities, come
from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES Act) of 2020
passed earlier this year by Congress.
      In announcing the availability of these funds to Arizona nonprofit
organizations, Arizona Humanities Executive Director Brenda Thomson wrote,
“We cannot say thank you enough. We know that these funds are critical for
the mu­seums, cultural and community centers, libraries and histor­ic sites
all hard hit by the pandemic. They serve everyone... rural and urban towns,
families and children, and students and workers from across Arizona. We hope
that we can reach areas that receive few other cultural resources.”
      Old Pueblo applied to Arizona Humanities for one of its CARES Act
grants on May 3. In our applica­tion we noted Old Pueblo's annual education
program and tours revenues normally constitute over 40 per­cent of the
organization's total annual income. Through May 31, 2020, the closure was
estimated to have resulted in loss of about 2.5 months’ worth of Old
Pueblo's education program revenues (considering that nearly all of the
education programs per year are offered during just eight months out of each
year) and loss of donation revenues for the tours scheduled between March 17
and May 31 that we had to cancel.
      To help cover these revenue losses, Arizona Humanities awarded Old
Pueblo a CARES Act grant of $8,551. The funds will be spent to provide all
of Old Pueblo’s regular staff who would have been em­ployed from May 17-May
31 with stipends to encourage them to return to work when closure orders are
lifted, and to continue paying Old Pueblo’s other normal expenses during
that period.
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center is extremely grateful to Arizona
Humanities and the National Endowment for the Humanities for their support.
For information about Arizona Humanities please visit
<http://www.azhumanities.org> www.azhumanities.org.

        The funding source for this grant award is the National Endowment
for the Humanities/SO-50519. The grant is administered by Arizona
Humanities. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in
this publication do not necessarily represent those of the National
Endowment for the Humanities
or of Arizona Humanities.

UPDATED LINK TO BEDROCK AND BOULDER MORTARS, BASINS, SLICKS, AND CUPULES
ARTICLE IN OLD PUEBLO ARCHAEOLOGY BULLETIN 81

      We accidentally deleted the link to the latest issue of the Old Pueblo
Archaeology quarterly bulletin that includes the Bedrock and Boulder
Mortars, Basins, Slicks, and Cupules in the Southern Southwest article. If
you would like to download this issue for free, you can download this issue
of the bulletin by clicking on this updated link:

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fgnt2cypy0tp5p/202006opa81_Bedrock%26BoulderMort
arsBasinsSlicks%26Cupules.pdf?dl=0>
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fgnt2cypy0tp5p/202006opa81_Bedrock%26BoulderMorta
rsBasinsSlicks%26Cupules.pdf?dl=0
     Previous issues of the bulletin can be viewed at Old Pueblo Archaeology
Center's  <http://www.oldpueblo.org/about-us/publications/>
http://www.oldpueblo.org/about-us/publications/ page -- Check it out to get
an idea of what we include in each issue.
     If you would like to subscribe, please visit our Membership web page at
<http://www.oldpueblo.org/about-us/membership/>
http://www.oldpueblo.org/about-us/membership/ or call Old Pueblo at
520-798-1201 to open your membership or subscription using your Visa,
Mastercard, or Discover card.

SOME ONLINE RESOURCES WHILE WE’RE PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING

      Check out some of these online resources about archaeology, history,
and cultures that you can indulge in at any time! Other online offerings
scheduled for specific days and times are listed by date below.

*         The Amerind Foundation’s "Metalwork in West Mexico: Interaction
Between Mesoamerica and the American Southwest” video of Dr. José Luis Punzo
Díaz’s presentation:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ape4-Zg6f5A&feature=youtu.be>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ape4-Zg6f5A&feature=youtu.be.

*         Archaeology Southwest’s Online Exhibits at
<https://www.archaeologysouthwest.org/exhibit/online-exhibits/>
https://www.archaeologysouthwest.org/exhibit/online-exhibits/ include "Bears
Ears: Vulnerable Places" in which photographer Jonathan Bailey shares places
endangered by the president’s near-revocation of Bears Ears National
Monument lands; "From Above: Images of a Storied Land," internationally
acclaimed photographer Adriel Heisey’s spectacular aerial views of some of
the Southwest’s best-known archaeological sites; "Pieces of the Puzzle,"
which investigates 14th and 15th century population change in the southern
Southwest; “Rethinking the Peopling of the Americas," which reviews evidence
of the earliest Americans in the Southwest; and "Virtual Southwest,"
exploring how emerging digital media technologies could be utilized to share
archaeological research results with the public, and for which examples
include “Chronological Virtual Reality (CVR)”; “Homol'ovi in Time and
Space”; “Meet the Gilacopter!”; “Casa Malpais - 3D Documentation &
Preservation”; “Sunset Road Footprints”; “Chaco's Legacy”; Preservation at
Sherwood Ranch Pueblo—Chronology”; “LIDAR Monitoring of Inscriptions at El
Morro”; “The Clearwater Site: Tucson, Arizona, 2100 [BCE].”

*         Arizona Public Media’s “Black History in Southern Arizona”: The
first non-native person to ever come to the Southwest was an African,
kicking off a nearly 500-year African-American history in Arizona :
<https://youtu.be/UAzW3UpFztQ> https://youtu.be/UAzW3UpFztQ.

*         Crow Canyon Archaeological Center’s YouTube recent video webinars
include “Sacred Landscape Sacred People: Connections between Landscapes and
Cultural Identity” with Diné archaeologist Jason Nez; “Mimbres: Dimples,
Slip-Slop, and Clapboard – What They Are and Why They Matter” with
archaeologist Steve Lekson; “Archaeology of the Aztec North Great House”
with Michelle Turner; and more:
<https://www.crowcanyon.org/index.php/archaeology-webinars>
https://www.crowcanyon.org/index.php/archaeology-webinars.

*         Denver Art Museum’s “Art of the Ancient Americas” collection
includes ceramic, stone, gold, jade, and textile artifacts representing
nearly every major culture in Mesoamerica, Central America, and South
America:  <http://www.denverartmuseum.org/collections>
www.denverartmuseum.org/collections.

*         School for Advanced Research offers “The Interpretation of
Ancestral Pueblo Rock Art” with Severin Fowles:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vomcQR3Tpc8&feature=youtu.be>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vomcQR3Tpc8&feature=youtu.be; and “SAR Deep
Dive: Exploring the Chaco Canyon Region”: Visit  <http://www.youtube.com>
www.youtube.com then search for SAR Deep Dive.

Stay safe and enjoy the ones that appeal to you!

UPCOMING ACTIVITIES

      Listings below that are preceded by CANCELLED, POSTPONED, or
RESCHEDULED notes are included because they were listed in Old Pueblo’s June
1st upcoming-activities email but have since been cancelled or postponed.
      Please note that for some activities listed below, the information may
be out of date due to COVID-19 coronavirus – Readers are advised to confirm
details with the event organizers.

      OLD PUEBLO ARCHAEOLOGY CENTER DOES NOT TAKE THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
LIGHTLY. We have closed our facilities to the public since mid-March, and my
family has been sheltering in place since then so as not to take any chances
on becoming ill or infecting others. If you have received Old Pueblo’s
upcoming-activities postings since April 1 you will have noticed that Old
Pueblo has cancelled or postponed all in-person events from late March
through June, and this issue notes that we have cancelled our July 18 tour.
      The reason we still have in-person events scheduled for this fall is
because we hope maybe at least some of them can go forward if the pandemic
threat is reduced by the time the events are scheduled. However, we find it
practical to keep these events scheduled until we have better knowledge
about how the pandemic is progressing, rather than cancelling all events
several months ahead of time only to find out later that maybe they could
have proceeded if we’d just waited a bit longer to decide.
      We will continue to note in our monthly upcoming-activities emails and
postings if we decide to cancel or postpone in-person events that already
are scheduled. Also Old Pueblo recently subscribed to Zoom teleconferencing
service and is prepared to switch as many of our non-tour events as needed
to on-line options in the foreseeable future.

TODAY: Thursday July 2, 2020: Online
      “The Archaeology of Food and Social Transformation” free online
presentation by Dr. Sarah Oas sponsored by Crow Canyon Archaeological
Center*
      4 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time. Free (donations encouraged).
      Dr. Sarah Oas, postdoctoral scholar at Arizona State University and
Crow Canyon research associate, explores the relationships between foodways
– the ways we produce, prepare, and consume foods – and periods of social
transformation. Foodways offer a unique window into the historic process and
experience of social transformations. At the same time, foodways, as they
are conserved or changed, participate in processes of social transformation.
Sarah will discuss the potential for archaeology to contribute to histories
of food and cuisine and highlight the important role of foods in the work of
community formation in several case studies from the Cibola Region,
1150-1400 CE.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. To learn more
and register visit
<https://4454pp.blackbaudhosting.com/4454pp/The-Archaeology-of-Food-Social-T
ransformation-with-Sarah-Oas>
https://4454pp.blackbaudhosting.com/4454pp/The-Archaeology-of-Food-Social-Tr
ansformation-with-Sarah-Oas.

Friday July 3, 2020: Online
      “Homo erectus: International Man of Mystery” free Zoom presentation by
Dr. James T. Watson sponsored by the Arizona State Museum (ASM), University
of Arizona*
      9:30-10:30 a.m. Arizona/Mountain Standard Time. Free
      Dr. Watson, bioarchaeologist, Associate Professor of Anthropology, and
Associate Director of ASM, will take us on an evolutionary journey from two
million years to the present and tell the story of Homo erectus and how this
species fits into our lineage as well as the fascinating discoveries of
their fossils. Homo erectus was the second hominin fossil species to be
identified as the "missing link" more than a century ago and continues to
redefine our understanding on human evolution today. Dating to nearly 1.8
million years ago, H. erectus was an ideal mix of modern and primitive
features, and the first recognized fossil species to leave the African
continent, diversify, and populate most of the Old World. Homo erectus
discoveries were also ripe with intrigue, murder, and mystery.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. To register
visit
<https://statemuseum.arizona.edu/events/homo-erectus-international-man-myste
ry-zoom-presentation>
https://statemuseum.arizona.edu/events/homo-erectus-international-man-myster
y-zoom-presentation. For more information contact Darlene Lizarraga at
520-626-8381 or  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

Thursday July 9, 2020: Online
      “Leaving Footprints in the Ancient Southwest: Visible Indicators of
Group Affiliation and Social Position in the Chaco and Post-Chaco Eras” free
online presentation by Dr. Ben Bellorado sponsored by Crow Canyon
Archaeological Center*
      4 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time. Free (donations encouraged).
       Around the world and through time, people have used clothing to
express aspects of their social identities. In the ancient Southwest,
Ancestral Pueblo people used clothing to relate their membership in groups,
social positions, and identity politics. Of all the types of clothing used
in the region, twined sandals were one of the most commonly preserved and
ritually important types of footwear used during the 850-1300 CE Chaco and
post-Chaco eras. This presentation investigates the ways Ancestral Pueblo
people in the northern Southwest used twined sandals and their
representations in other media to signal aspects of social identities in the
Chaco and post-Chaco eras.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. To learn more
and register visit
<https://4454pp.blackbaudhosting.com/4454pp/Leaving-Footprints-in-the-Ancien
t-Southwest-with-Ben-Bellorado>
https://4454pp.blackbaudhosting.com/4454pp/Leaving-Footprints-in-the-Ancient
-Southwest-with-Ben-Bellorado.

Friday July 10, 2020: Online
      “Coming and Going: 13,000 Years of Migration on the Southern Colorado
Plateau (Little Colorado River Valley)” free Zoom presentation by Dr. E.
Charles Adams sponsored by the Arizona State Museum (ASM), University of
Arizona*
      9:30-10:30 a.m. Arizona/Mountain Standard Time. Free
      This talk by archaeologist and ASM Curator Emeritus of Archaeology
Chuck Adams consolidates 30 years of archaeological field work to describe
how groups from Clovis times to historic Hopi and Zuni visited, exploited,
and at times flourished in what appears to be an extreme environment in the
central valley of the Little Colorado River near Winslow, Arizona. The talk
will highlight and combine Dr. Adams’s research at ancestral Hopi villages
at Homol'ovi with work done at and around Rock Art Ranch.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. To register
visit
<https://statemuseum.arizona.edu/events/coming-and-going-13000-years-migrati
on-southern-colorado-plateau-little-colorado-river-valley>
https://statemuseum.arizona.edu/events/coming-and-going-13000-years-migratio
n-southern-colorado-plateau-little-colorado-river-valley. For more
information contact Darlene Lizarraga at 520-626-8381 or

Saturday July 11, 2020: Online
      “Chemical Archaeology of Lower Pecos Pictographs” free Zoom
presentation by Dr. Karen Steelman sponsored by American Rock Art Research
Association (ARARA)*
      5:30 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time. Free
      In the Lower Pecos Canyonlands of southwestern Texas, dry rockshelters
provide a remarkable window into hunter-gatherer lifeways over the past
13,000 years, with excellent preservation of perishable artifacts in the
sediments and an array of pictograph styles painted on the limestone walls.
There are at least five categories of rock art, ranging in age between 2700
BCE and 1800 CE. The most common, and best-studied, rock art defining the
region is the Pecos River Style, famous for large, polychromatic murals that
have been shown in some instances to be single compositions. With over 30
direct dates on this style, we know that it persisted for over 4,500 years.
This presentation will highlight new radiocarbon dating research using two
independent methods to ensure reliability of results. In addition, progress
on Shumla’s Archaeological Research & Educational Center current
documentation project in the region will be shared. Karen Steelman is
Shumla’s Science Director.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information and to register visit  <https://arara.wildapricot.org/Lectures/>
https://arara.wildapricot.org/Lectures/.

Monday-Friday July 13-17, 2020: Online
      “A Pestilence so Great and Universal: Disease and the Structures of
Early Mexican History” five-session ASM Master Class taught via Zoom by Dr.
Michael M. Brescia
      9:30-11 a.m. Arizona/Mountain Standard Time via Zoom. $150 ($100 for
ASM members); partly tax deductible.
      Amid the lethal toll of Covid-19 and the accompanying global economic
downturn, historians are revisiting the role of diseases in world history
and their larger impact on culture and society. Even a cursory glance at
Mexican history tells us that Mexico is no stranger to the debilitating
effects of disease on individuals, families, and communities, not to mention
an epidemic's capability to transform the political, economic, and social
institutions that fashioned daily life in the deep past. In search of clues
to help us better grasp what has been unfolding around us today, Michael
Brescia will examine the multiple ways in which diseases defined the broader
contours of early Mexican history, from pre-Columbian times to Spanish
conquest and colonization. Dr. Brescia is Curator of Ethnohistory at ASM and
a University of Arizona Affiliated Professor of History and Law.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Darlene Lizarraga at 520-626-8381 or

Wednesday July 15, 2020: Online
      “Of Warp and Weft: Fiber Arts in the Pueblo Southwest Past, Present,
and Future” with Louie Garcia, sponsored by New Mexico Museum of Indian Arts
& Culture (MIAC)*
      6-7 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time. Free
      The MIAC’s Online Speaker Series brings together scholars who are
providing alternate perspectives on the lives ancestral people led in the
Southwest’s complex and challenging environment, through new looks at museum
collections, old data, or personal insights into the people behind the
ancestral sites. Louie Garcia (Tiwa/Piro Pueblo) is a traditional Pueblo
fiber artist. Over the years, Garcia has exhibited his work in various local
museums and has talked extensively on the topic of Pueblo weaving at
different venues. He is a part of the Cedar Mesa Perishables Project, a team
of archaeologists and Pueblo weavers documenting prehistoric perishable
collections in various museums and institutions across the United States.
Their aim is to compile a database accessible to all who may be interested
in learning more about the material culture of the ancient Pueblo Southwest.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. To join go to
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86927318253>
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86927318253.

CANCELLED to avoid spreading COVID-19 virus
Saturday July 18, 2020: Tucson
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Archaeology, Paleontology, and
Environmental Sciences Laboratories Tour” to the University of Arizona’s
Desert Laboratory on Tumamoc Hill and Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research
starting in the courtyard at Mercado San Agustin, 100 S. Avenida del
Convento, Tucson
      For more information contact Old Pueblo at 520-798-1201 or

Wednesday July 22, 2020: Online
      “A Look at Classic Period Tewa Communities in the Velarde Area” with
Patrick Cruz, sponsored by New Mexico Museum of Indian Arts & Culture
(MIAC)*
      6-7 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time. Free
      The MIAC’s Online Speaker Series brings together scholars who are
providing alternate perspectives on the lives ancestral people led in the
Southwest’s complex and challenging environment, through new looks at museum
collections, old data, or personal insights into the people behind the
ancestral sites. Patrick Cruz (Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo) is currently pursuing a
Ph.D. in Anthropology with an archaeology focus at the University of
Colorado at Boulder. His research interests have focused on Southwest
archaeology and more specifically the PIII Great Pueblo Migration (GPM) out
of the Four Corners, the post GPM period in the Northern Rio Grande, along
with investigating identity, Tewa language, village formation, Indigenous
archaeology, and phenomenology. He has 20 years of experience working in
both the archaeology and museum fields at Bandelier National Monument, New
Mexico History Museum, and the Center of Southwest Studies at Fort Lewis
College in Durango, Colorado.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. To join go to
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88545265547>
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88545265547.

Wednesday July 29, 2020: Online
      “Breaking Down Cardboard Boxes: How Archaeology Can Erase Histories"
with Dr. Lewis Borck, sponsored by New Mexico Museum of Indian Arts &
Culture (MIAC)*
      6-7 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time. Free
      The MIAC’s Online Speaker Series brings together scholars who are
providing alternate perspectives on the lives ancestral people led in the
Southwest’s complex and challenging environment, through new looks at museum
collections, old data, or personal insights into the people behind the
ancestral sites. Archaeologist Dr. Lewis Borck studies the material
histories of the past peoples in the American Southwest and the Caribbean.
He is particularly interested in how social movements and contentious
politics shaped religion and politics through time as well as how modern
politics and worldviews recreate the histories and ideas of the “West” in
the Indigenous past. For this talk, Dr. Borck will explore how
archaeologists and historians create history, how that can erase the history
of commoners, particularly of their politics and revolutions. He will use 15
years of research in the Gallina region of New Mexico, including a current
field school, as a case study to contextualize many of these ideas.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. To join go to
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84209568860>
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84209568860.

CANCELLED to avoid spreading COVID-19 virus
Thursday-Sunday August 6-9, 2020: Mancos, CO
      “Pecos Archaeological Conference” in the San Juan National Forest
northeast of Mancos, Colorado*
      The next Pecos Conference will be held next in the same location near
Mancos, Colorado, August 5-8, 2021.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information visit  <http://www.pecosconference.org/>
www.pecosconference.org/.

Wednesday August 19, 2020: Silver City, NM
      “Old-Time Religion? The Salado Phenomenon in the Greater Southwest”
free presentation by archaeologist Allen Dart for Grant County
Archaeological Society at the Roundup Lodge Community Center, 91 Aklin Hill
Road (about a block south of San Lorenzo Elementary School), Mimbres, New
Mexico*
      6 p.m. potluck and GCAS meeting, talk begins approximately 7:15
      When first recognized by archaeologists in the early twentieth
century, a constellation of peculiar cultural traits in the southwestern
United States, including polychrome (three-colored) pottery, above-ground
housing often enclosed in walled compounds, and monumental architecture, was
thought to be indicative of a distinct group of people: "the Salado." As
more and more research was done and the widespread distribution of Salado
material culture became apparent, interpretations of what the Salado
phenomenon represents was debated. In this presentation archaeologist Allen
Dart illustrates pottery and other cultural attributes of the so-called
Salado culture, reviews some of the theories about the Salado, and discusses
how Salado related to the Ancestral Pueblo, Mogollon, Hohokam, and Casas
Grandes cultures of the "Greater Southwest" (the U.S. Southwest and Mexico's
Northwest).
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center-sponsored event. No
reservations are needed. For details visit  <http://www.gcasnm.org>
www.gcasnm.org or contact Marianne Smith at 772-529-2627 or

Friday-Monday September 4-7, 2020: Q-Ranch, AZ
      “Summer Arizona Pottery Workshop” with instructor Andy Ward at Q Ranch
in the White Mountains near Young, Arizona*
      Friday afternoon through Monday morning. Workshop fee $350; Q Ranch
food & lodging extra (make separate arrangements with Q Ranch); camping is
also available nearby
      This intensive four-day pottery workshop will immerse you in the
ancient world of the ancient Pueblo people who lived in the mountains of
central Arizona and the beautiful pottery that they made here. Q Ranch
Pueblo was one of the largest and most important pueblos in this region from
about 1260 to 1380. Participants of this workshop will explore how these
people lived and worked, examining ruins and artifacts, digging and
processing native clay, minerals and other raw materials, and making pottery
authentic to the ancient traditions. Class Includes all materials, field
trip to dig clay, guided tours of pueblo ruins, a pottery-making toolkit to
keep, and 2020 Q Ranch workshop t-shirt. Limited to 12 students.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information or to register visit
<https://ancientpottery.how/summer-arizona-pottery-workshop/>
https://ancientpottery.how/summer-arizona-pottery-workshop/.

Wednesday September 9, 2020: Cave Creek, AZ
      "The Salado Phenomenon in the U.S. Southwest" free presentation by
archaeologist Allen Dart for Desert Foothills Chapter, Arizona
Archaeological Society meeting at Good Shepherd of the Hills Episcopal
Church, 6502 E. Cave Creek Road, Cave Creek, Arizona, cosponsored by Arizona
Humanities*
      7:30-9 p.m. Free
      In the early 20th century, archaeologists in the southwestern U.S.
viewed a constellation of distinctive cultural traits – multicolored
pottery, houses arranged in walled compounds, and monumental architecture –
as evidence of a cultural group they termed “Salado.” Subsequent discoveries
cause us to question what the Salado traits really represent. In this
presentation archaeologist Allen Dart illustrates some of the so-called
Salado culture attributes, reviews theories about Salado origins, and
discusses how Salado relates to the Ancestral Pueblo, Mogollon, Hohokam, and
Casa Grandes cultures of the U.S. Southwest and Mexico’s Northwest. This
program is made possible by Arizona Humanities.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Mary Kearney at 623-687-0721 or

Wednesdays September 16-December 16, 2020: Tucson and online
      “Archaeology of the Southwest” 12-session class with archaeologist
Allen Dart at Old Pueblo Archaeology Center, 2201 W. 44th Street, Tucson,
and online via Zoom teleconference
      6:30 to 8:30 p.m. each Wednesday evening September 16 through December
16 except skip October 21 and November 25. $95 donation ($80 for Old Pueblo
Archaeology Center and Friends of Pueblo Grande Museum members), not
counting cost of the recommended text or of optional Arizona Archaeological
Society membership. No discount for Zoom participation. Minimum enrollment
8, maximum 20.
      Archaeology of the Southwest is an introductory course that provides a
basic overview of the United States Southwest’s ancestral cultures. Its
twelve evening class sessions will cover cultural sequences, dating systems,
subsistence strategies, development of urbanization, abandonments of
different areas at different times, and the general characteristics of major
cultural groups that have lived in the Southwest over the past 13,000-plus
years. Besides offering an up-to-date synthesis of southwestern cultures for
anyone interested in the archaeology of the Southwest, the class is the
equivalent of the Prehistory of the Southwest course developed by the
Arizona Archaeological Society (AAS) and so can be used as prerequisite for
all other courses offered in the AAS Certification/Education Program.
Instructor Allen Dart is a registered professional archaeologist and
executive director of Old Pueblo Archaeology Center.
      Donations are due 10 days after reservation request or by 5 p.m.
Friday September 11, whichever is earlier: 520-798-1201 or
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] to register or for more
information.
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send archaeology class flyer” in your email subject
line.

Thursday September 17, 2020: Tucson
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Third Thursday Food for Thought”
dinner featuring “Camp Rucker: Apache Wars Outpost in the Chiricahua
Mountains” free presentation by archaeologist Bill Gillespie at U-Like
Oriental Buffet Asian Cuisine, 5101 N. Oracle Rd., Tucson
      6 to 8:30 p.m. Free (Order your own dinner off of the restaurant’s
menu at your expense)
      In the summer of 1878, the US Army established a small outpost called
Camp Supply in the Chiricahua Mountains, in the heart of the Chiricahua
Apache homeland. The initial purpose of the post was to serve as base of
operations and supply depot for companies of Indian Scouts. That function
was cut short when the two young officers leading Indian Scout companies
both drowned during a summer storm in the canyon. The camp was renamed Camp
John A. Rucker in honor of one of them. Although officially in use for less
than three years, the Army continued to make occasional use of the camp for
nearly 20 more years, most notably in its final campaign against Geronimo in
the summer of 1886. Ranchers who lived at Camp Rucker in the decades that
followed were an interesting lot, some of whom wrote about life at Rucker in
the 1880s through 1930s. As an archaeologist for the Coronado National
Forest for 25 years, guest speaker Bill Gillespie and his Forest Service
colleague Mary Farrell conducted volunteer projects at Camp Rucker and
successfully nominated the Rucker Canyon Archaeological District to the
National Register of Historic Places.
      Reservations must be requested AND CONFIRMED before 5 p.m. on the
Wednesday before the program date:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] or 520-798-1201. PLEASE WAIT TO HEAR FROM OLD PUEBLO
WHETHER YOUR RESERVATION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BEFORE ATTENDING because the
Fire Code limits how many guests we can have in the restaurant meeting room.
Guests may select and purchase their own dinners from the restaurant’s menu.
There is no entry fee but donations will be requested to benefit Old
Pueblo’s educational efforts.
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send Camp Rucker Third Thursday flyer” in your
email subject line.

Monday September 21, 2020: Tucson
      “Food for Thought: The Deep History of Your Dinner” free presentation
by Dr. Karen R. Adams for Arizona Archaeological and Historical Society
(AAHS) meeting in University of Arizona’s Environmental & Natural Resources
Bldg. 2 ground-floor auditorium, 1064 E. Lowell St., (Park in U of A 6th St.
garage for $1/hr.)*
      7-8:30 p.m. Free
      Human efforts at plant domestication began over 10,000 years ago in
the Fertile Crescent and elsewhere. People on most of the world’s continents
domesticated a wide range of above-ground and below-ground plant parts,
ranging from the stalk a leaf sits on (celery, rhubarb) to the corn, wheat,
oats, rice, and barley grass grains that now feed the world. Plant
domestication is a process that can continue as long as humans are
interested in favored wild plants. This presentation illustrates that any
single meal you sit down to eat today encompasses this world-wide long-term
relationship between humans and the plants they tamed.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center-sponsored event. No
reservations needed. For details visit  <http://www.az-arch-and-hist.org>
www.az-arch-and-hist.org or contact Pamela Pelletier at 520-248-9933 or

Tuesday September 22, 2020: Tucson-Marana, AZ
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Autumn Equinox Tour to Los Morteros
and Picture Rocks Petroglyphs Sites” with archaeologist Allen Dart departing
from near Silverbell Road and Linda Vista Blvd. in Marana, Arizona
      8 a.m. to noon. $30 donation ($24 for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
and Friends of Pueblo Grande Museum members) helps cover Old Pueblo’s tour
expenses and supports its education programs about archaeology and
traditional cultures.
      The 2020 autumn equinox occurs on September 22 at 6:30 a.m. Mountain
Standard Time (1:30 p.m. GMT). To celebrate the equinox archaeologist Allen
Dart (Old Pueblo Archaeology Center's executive director) leads this tour to
Los Morteros, an ancient village site that includes a Hohokam ballcourt and
bedrock mortars, and to Picture Rocks, where ancient petroglyphs include a
solstice and equinox calendar marker, dancing human-like figures, whimsical
animals, and other rock symbols made by Hohokam Indians between 650 and 1450
CE. An equinox calendar petroglyph at Picture Rocks exhibits a specific
interaction with a ray of sunlight on the morning of each equinox regardless
of the hour and minute of the actual celestial equinox, so participants in
this tour will see that sunlight interaction with the calendar glyph unless
clouds block the sunlight.
      Donations are due 10 days after reservation request or by 5 p.m.
Sunday September 20, whichever is earlier: 520-798-1201 or
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send Autumn Equinox tour flyer” in your email
subject line.

Saturday October 3, 2020: Chiricahua Mountains, AZ
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Historic Camp Rucker: Apache Wars
Outpost Tour” with archaeologist Bill Gillespie meets on west side of
Houghton Road just south of Interstate-10 Exit 275, Tucson
      8 a.m.-4 p.m. This is a fundraising tour – Each registrant is asked to
make a donation to help cover Old Pueblo’s tour expenses and support its
education programs about archaeology and traditional cultures.
      Well off the beaten path in the southern part of the Chiricahua
Mountains is the site of Camp Rucker, a small military post established by
the U.S. Army in 1878. The location selected in Whitewater (later Rucker)
Canyon was one the ancient Mogollon people had picked centuries before. The
Army post was small, never garrisoned by more than a single company, and
officially lasted only a couple of years. For most of that time soldiers and
officers lived in tents but in 1880 soldiers started building a small number
of stone and adobe structures, some of which are still standing. High
clearance vehicles are recommended. Participants provide their own
transportation, lunches, and water. Bill Gillespie, who was a Coronado
National Forest archaeologist for 25 years, and his Forest Service colleague
Mary Farrell conducted volunteer projects at Camp Rucker and successfully
nominated the Rucker Canyon Archaeological District to the National Register
of Historic Places.
      Donations are due 10 days after reservation request or by 5 p.m.
Wednesday September 30, whichever is earlier: 520-798-1201 or
      Also see the September 17 "Third Thursday Food for Thought"
announcement above. IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color
photos about the Camp Rucker tour send an email to
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] with “Send Rucker trip flyer”
in your email subject line.

Saturday October 10, 2020: Canoa Ranch, AZ
      "Archaeology and History of Canoa Ranch" presentation and tours at
Historic Canoa Ranch, 5375 S. I-19 Frontage Road, Green Valley, Arizona
(accessible from I-19 Canoa Road Exit 56)
      8 a.m. to noon. $30 donation ($24 for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
and Friends of Pueblo Grande Museum members) helps cover Old Pueblo’s tour
expenses and supports its education programs about archaeology and
traditional cultures.
      This event begins with a PowerPoint presentation by Old Pueblo’s
director Allen Dart titled “Before There Was a Canoa” about Canoa-area
archaeology and history. The presentation is followed by a 1-hour “Anza Tour
at Historic Canoa Ranch” and a “Tour of Historic Canoa Ranch” to be provided
by Pima County Natural Resources, Parks & Recreation volunteers, then the
morning’s program will conclude with a “Behind the Scenes Restoration Tour”
by Pima County architectural preservationist Simon Herbert. The presentation
and each tour will be limited to 32 registrants and will not be open to
other Canoa Ranch visitors. Participants are encouraged to bring a sack
lunch to enjoy after the program at Canoa Ranch’s Mesquite Grove, or to have
lunch in one of the many nearby Green Valley restaurants.
      Donations are due 10 days after reservation request or by 5 p.m.
Wednesday September 30, whichever is earlier: 520-798-1201 or
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send Canoa Ranch flyer” in your email subject line.

Thursday October 15, 2020: Tucson
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Third Thursday Food for Thought”
dinner featuring “Revisiting Santa Cruz de Terrenate Presidio” free
presentation with archaeologist Dr. Deni J. Seymour at Karichimaka Mexican
Restaurant, 5252 S. Mission Rd., Tucson
      6 to 8:30 p.m. Free (Order your own dinner off of the restaurant’s
menu at your expense)
      In 1775-1776, the government of New Spain created a series of frontier
presidios along its northern frontier. Three of these are in Arizona.
Archaeologist Deni Seymour, Ph.D. conducted a multiyear field research
program at what remains of Santa Cruz de Terrenate, located along the San
Pedro River near Sierra Vista. This is the best preserved of all the Spanish
period presidios in the American Southwest. Join Dr. Seymour for a
discussion of the history of this adobe fortress, information about recent
archaeological and ethnohistoric investigations, and revisions to
interpretations of work carried out by archaeologist Charles Di Peso almost
70 years ago. New findings include 240-year-old footprints, information
relevant to the location of the Sobaípuri sites of Quíburi and Santa Cruz,
and insights into hygiene, population, and status.
      Reservations must be requested AND CONFIRMED before 5 p.m. on the
Wednesday before the program date:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] or 520-798-1201. PLEASE WAIT TO HEAR FROM OLD PUEBLO
WHETHER YOUR RESERVATION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BEFORE ATTENDING because the
Fire Code limits how many guests we can have in the restaurant meeting room.
Guests may select and purchase their own dinners from the restaurant’s menu.
There is no entry fee but donations will be requested to benefit Old
Pueblo’s educational efforts.
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send October 15 Third Thursday dinner flyer” in
your email subject line.

Saturday October 17, 2020: Fairbank, AZ

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Santa Cruz de Terrenate and
Pitaitutgam Archaeological Sites” tour with archaeologist Dr. Deni J.
Seymour starting at the Chevron station at AZ-90/AZ-82 intersection in
Whetstone, Arizona

      9 a.m. to 4 p.m. $50 donation ($40 for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
and Friends of Pueblo Grande Museum members) helps cover Old Pueblo’s tour
expenses and supports its education programs about archaeology and
traditional cultures.
      Santa Cruz de Terrenate is the best-preserved example of three
presidios (forts) established by the eighteenth-century Spanish colonial
government in what is now southern Arizona, to provide military protection
to the missions, settlers, and Christianized Native Americans of New Spain.
The presidio housed soldiers, civilians, Ópata scouts, O’odham laborers, and
domestic servants of a variety of origins from December 1775 until it was
abandoned in March 1780. Pitaitutgam is the site of a large Sobaípuri
O'odham village that was occupied off and on for centuries. The first-ever
Sobaípuri archaeological site identified and excavated (during the 1950s),
it was the place Father Kino called Santa Cruz del Pitaitutgam. Our tour
guide Dr. Deni Seymour recently carried out new excavations at both of these
sites, clarifying new ideas about the Sobaípuri O'odham, their village
layouts, length of occupation in the San Pedro Valley, and many other issues
of current interest.
      Donations are due 10 days after reservation request or by 5 p.m.
Wednesday October 14, whichever is earlier: 520-798-1201 or
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send Terrenate flyer” in your email subject line.

Monday October 19, 2020: Tucson
      “Technologies of Capturing Color: Paint Practice and its Analysis in
the U.S. Southwest” free presentation by archaeologist Kelsey Hanson for
Arizona Archaeological and Historical Society (AAHS) meeting in University
of Arizona’s Environmental & Natural Resources Bldg. 2 ground-floor
auditorium, 1064 E. Lowell St. (Park in U of A 6th St. garage for $1/hr.)*
      7-8:30 p.m. Free
      The American Southwest is brilliantly colored. However, naturally
occurring colors are not easily imparted into the material world. The
ability to capture color from the natural world through paint requires deep
cultural knowledge of geologic sources, processing requirements, and
application techniques that remain severely understudied. The production of
paint is a sequence of combining colorants and binders—the recipes for which
are remarkably diverse. In this lecture, archaeologist Kelsey Hanson will
contextualize paint practice as a technology for which the diversity of
paint recipes and processing techniques can be investigated. She will then
discuss the initial stages of a multiyear project to analyze the diversity
of paint recipes manifest in prepared paint cakes in the Arizona State
Museum’s collections and implications for studies of craft specialization
and identity in multimedia paint practices in the U.S. Southwest.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center-sponsored event. No
reservations needed. For details visit  <http://www.az-arch-and-hist.org>
www.az-arch-and-hist.org or contact Pamela Pelletier at 520-248-9933 or

Friday-Saturday October 23-24, 2020: Tucson
      “21st Biennial Mogollon Conference” at Student Union Memorial Center,
1303 E. University Blvd., University of Arizona, Tucson*
      9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. each day depending on number of presentations.
Advance registration $35 students, $50 others.
      This biennial conference features presentations related to archaeology
of the Mogollon Rim in Arizona, the Mimbres and eastern Mimbres regions of
New Mexico, and interactions within and among those areas and with Ancestral
Pueblo, Hohokam, western Plains, and northern Mexico cultures. There will be
a reception with refreshments on the evening of October 22 and a conference
dinner hosted by Archaeology Southwest on the evening of October 23. (No
additional cost to attend reception or dinner.)
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information visit  <http://www.Mogollon2020.com> www.Mogollon2020.com; for
direct conference inquiries contact Mike Diehl at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]; for payment inquiries Karen
Schollmeyer at  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Saturday October 24, 2020: Tucson
      “Arrowhead-making and Flintknapping Workshop” with flintknapper Sam
Greenleaf at Old Pueblo Archaeology Center, 2201 W. 44th Street, Tucson
      9 a.m. to noon. $35 donation ($28 for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
and Friends of Pueblo Grande Museum members; 50% off for persons who have
taken this class previously)
      Learn how to make arrowheads, spear points, and other flaked stone
artifacts just like ancient peoples did. In this workshop, flintknapping
expert Sam Greenleaf provides participants with hands-on experience and
learning on how pre-European Contact people made and used projectile points
and other tools created from obsidian and other stone. All materials and
equipment are provided. The class is designed to help modern people
understand how pre-Contact Native Americans made traditional crafts and is
not intended to train students how to make artwork for sale. Limited to six
registrants.
      Donations are due 10 days after reservation request or by 5 p.m.
Thursday October 22, whichever is earlier: 520-798-1201 or
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send flintknapping flyer” in your email subject
line.

Thursday November 5, 2020: Paradise Valley, AZ
      “The Antiquity of Irrigation in the Southwest” presentation at Cosanti
Foundation, 6433 E. Doubletree Ranch Rd., Paradise Valley, AZ*
      7-8:30 p.m. Free
      Before 1500 CE, Native American cultures took advantage of southern
Arizona's long growing season and tackled its challenge of limi­ted
precipitation by developing the earliest and most extensive irrigation works
in all of North America. Agriculture was introduced to Arizona more than
4,000 years before present, and irrigation systems were developed in our
state at least 3,500 years ago – several hundred years be­fore irrigation
was established in ancient Mexico. This presentation by archaeologist Allen
Dart provides an overview of ancient irrigation systems in the southern
Southwest and discusses irrigation’s implications for understanding social
complexity.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information visit  <https://cosanti.com/pages/speakers>
https://cosanti.com/pages/speakers or contact Norm Pratt at 928-632-6234 or

Fridays November 6-December 11, 2020: Tucson
      “ASM Master Class: Culture and Identity” with Dr. Suzanne L. Eckert
sponsored by the Arizona State Museum (ASM) in Silver and Sage Room, Old
Main, University of Arizona, 1200 E. University Blvd., Tucson*
      9:30 to 11:30 a.m. $275 ($225 for ASM members). Light refreshments and
campus parking included.
      Identity plays an important role in modern cultures, societies,
politics, and economies. In fact, identity has been a powerful instrument
for constructing and reflecting culture since the beginning of humanity. Who
we are, how we identify with our own social groups, our attitudes to other
cultures, are all interconnected with the values placed upon us by ourselves
and others. This Master Class uses archaeological examples from across time
and space to investigate identity: its complex nature and performance, the
politics and economics surrounding identity, how individuals hold multiple
contradictory identities, how societies use identity to enforce cultural
norms, and how individuals use it to rebel against societal norms.
Archaeologist Dr. Suzanne L. Eckert is Head of Collections at ASM and
Associate Professor of Anthropology at the University of Arizona.
      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Darlene Lizarraga at 520-626-8381 or

Thursday November 19, 2020: Oro Valley, AZ
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Third Thursday Food for Thought”
dinner featuring “People and Politics behind the Construction of the
Catalina Highway to Mount Lemmon” free presentation by archaeologist Bill
Gillespie at El Molinito Mexican Restaurant, 10180 N. Oracle Rd., Oro
Valley, Arizona
      6 to 8:30 p.m. Free (Order your own dinner off of the restaurant’s
menu at your expense)
      In October 1948 the Tucson Chamber of Commerce sponsored a ceremony to
dedicate the nearly complete Hitchcock Highway, named to commemorate Frank
H. Hitchcock, the man whose astute lobbying efforts made the construction of
the new highway a reality. After 15 years of intensive work by men from
Federal Prison Camp No. 10, the 25-mile long highway was nearly completed.
As many years as the project took, spanning much of the Great Depression and
World War II, it was preceded by decades of earlier, unsuccessful efforts to
build a road to connect Tucson with the cool high elevations of Mount
Lemmon. At various times citizen groups, county supervisors, the U.S. Forest
Service, and federal and state highway agencies strove to find ways to get
the road built before 1933 when Hitchcock succeeded in negotiating a
successful solution. Guest speaker Bill Gillespie did archaeological
fieldwork at Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, and in Jordan before moving to
southern Arizona in the mid-1980s to work as an archaeologist for the
Coronado National Forest for 25 years.
      Reservations must be requested AND CONFIRMED before 5 p.m. on the
Wednesday before the program date:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] or 520-798-1201. PLEASE WAIT TO HEAR FROM OLD PUEBLO
WHETHER YOUR RESERVATION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BEFORE ATTENDING because the
Fire Code limits how many guests we can have in the restaurant meeting room.
Guests may select and purchase their own dinners from the restaurant’s menu.
There is no entry fee but donations will be requested to benefit Old
Pueblo’s educational efforts.
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send November 19 Third Thursday dinner flyer” in
your email subject line.

Saturday November 21, 2020: Catalina Highway, AZ
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Catalina Highway Prison Camp at the
Gordon Hirabayashi Recreation Area Tour” with archaeologist Bill Gillespie
meets at Safeway store parking lot, 9125 E. Tanque Verde Rd. (at Catalina
Highway intersection), Tucson
      9 a.m.-1 p.m. This is a fundraising tour – Each registrant is asked to
make a donation to help cover Old Pueblo’s tour expenses and support its
education programs about archaeology and traditional cultures.
      One of the unique archaeological sites in the Santa Catalina Mountains
is the location of a federal prison camp occupied in the mid-20th century.
The facility was established for one specific purpose: to provide labor for
the construction of the Catalina or Hitchcock Highway connecting Tucson to
Mount Lemmon. Although the project started in 1933, it wasn’t until 1939,
when road construction had reached the 7-mile mark, that prisoners were
moved from their temporary camp at the base of the mountain to the permanent
camp adjacent to Soldier Creek and the highway. The use of the appealing
location by the Hohokam at a much earlier time is marked by petroglyphs,
grinding features and artifacts. In 1999, the U.S. Forest Service named the
site the Gordon Hirabayashi Recreation Area in honor of the
Japanese-American civil rights leader who had been imprisoned there during
World War II. Participants provide their own transportation and water, and
may bring their own lunches to picnic at the camp after the tour. Our guide
Bill Gillespie did archaeological fieldwork at Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, and
in Jordan before moving to southern Arizona in the mid-1980s to work as an
archaeologist for the Coronado National Forest for 25 years.
      Donations are due 10 days after reservation request or by 5 p.m.
Wednesday November 18, whichever is earlier: 520-798-1201 or
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send Prison Camp tour flyer” in your email subject
line.

      5 p.m. Wednesday December 2, 2020, is the deadline to purchase tickets
from Old Pueblo Archaeology Center for “The Jim Click Millions for Tucson
Raffle” of a 2020 Ford F-150 Platinum pickup truck, two first-class
round-trip airline tickets to anywhere in the world, and $5,000 cash that
will benefit Old Pueblo and other southern Arizona charities!
      On December 11th Tucson’s Jim Click Automotive Team will give away a
2020 Ford F-150 Platinum Pickup Truck in a raffle to raise millions of
dollars for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center and other southern Arizona
nonprofit organizations. With your contribution you could win this 2020
pickup – or the second prize of two first-class round-trip airline tickets
to anywhere in the world or the third prize of $5,000 in cash! And 100% of
your contribution will support Old Pueblo Archaeology Center, which gets to
keep all of the proceeds from our sales of the tickets for “The Jim Click
Millions for Tucson Raffle”! Tickets for the raffle are 5 for $100 or $25
each. Your donation to purchase raffle tickets will help Old Pueblo
Archaeology Center provide more archaeology and culture education programs
for children who would not be able to afford our programs without your help.
The drawing will be held on December 11.
      Raffle rules: To be entered in the raffle your contribution and
tickets must be received (not postmarked) by Old Pueblo by 5 p.m. Wednesday
December 2nd so we can turn the tickets in to the Jim Click Automotive
Team’s coordinator by December 4th. Old Pueblo must account for all tickets
issued to us and must return all unsold tickets; therefore, advance payment
for tickets is required. Tickets may be purchased by check payable to Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center and mailed to PO Box 40577, Tucson AZ 85717;
through the PayPal Donation button on Old Pueblo’s
<http://www.oldpueblo.org> www.oldpueblo.org home page; or by calling
520-603-6181 to provide your Visa, MasterCard, or Discover card payment
authorization. Once payment is received for your tickets, Old Pueblo will
enter them into the drawing and will mail you the correspondingly numbered
ticket stubs with a letter acknowledging your contribution. Winner consents
to be photographed and for his or her name and likeness to be used by the
Jim Click Automotive Team and/or the Russell Public Communications firm for
publicity and advertising purposes.
      Deadline for ticket purchases from Old Pueblo is 5 p.m. Wednesday
December 2nd. For tickets or more information about Old Pueblo’s involvement
in the raffle contact Old Pueblo at 520-798-1201 or
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] For more information about
The Jim Click Automotive Team’s Millions for Tucson Raffle itself visit
<http://www.millionsfortucson.org> www.millionsfortucson.org.
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send Ford Pickup Raffle flyer” in your email
subject line.

Thursday December 10, 2020: Tucson
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center's "Third Thursday (on the Second
Thursday) Food for Thought" dinner featuring "Paint It Here, but Never
There: Landscapes of Reverent Avoidance in the Chiricahua Mountains” free
presentation by archaeologist Kelsey E. Hanson in the Dining Hall and
Petroglyph Auditorium of the Picture Rocks Redemptorist Renewal Center, 7101
W. Picture Rocks Road, Tucson
      Dinner starts at 6 p.m., presentation around 7-8:30 p.m.; dinner is
$16 per person, presentation is free
      Southeastern Arizona is located on the fringes of several named
cultural traditions – the Hohokam, Mogollon, and Casas Grandes, and then was
later occupied by the Apache. This borderlands region has received only
sporadic scholarly attention. In 2018, Kelsey E. Hanson and Jonathan Patt
conducted a systematic survey of caves in the eastern Chiricahua Mountains,
at the heart of this cultural overlap. Their survey produced data on several
new pictograph sites, representing at least three different named pictograph
traditions. Interestingly, their spatial distributions demonstrate that
different pictograph traditions rarely overlap in space but seem to occupy
starkly different physiographic settings. In this talk, archaeologist Kelsey
Hanson will illustrate these spatial patterns and propose an interpretation
she tentatively refers to as reverent avoidance of those who have come
before. The results of her study have important implications for
understanding identity and territoriality through time and space in this
borderlands region. This month only, Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s usual
"Third Thursday Food for Thought" dinner program will be held on the Second
Thursday of the month – December 10 – due to a schedule conflict on the
Third Thursday (December 17).
      Reservations must be requested AND CONFIRMED before 5 p.m. Tuesday
December 8; dinner payments are due 10 days after reservation request or by
5 p.m. December 8, whichever is earlier:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] or 520-798-1201. PLEASE WAIT TO HEAR FROM OLD PUEBLO
WHETHER YOUR RESERVATION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BEFORE ATTENDING because the
Fire Code limits how many guests we can have in the restaurant meeting room.
Guests may select and purchase their own dinners from the restaurant’s menu.
There is no entry fee but donations will be requested to benefit Old
Pueblo’s educational efforts.
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send December 17 Third Thursday dinner flyer” in
your email subject line.

Saturday December 12, 2020: Guadalupe, AZ
      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Journey to the Fiesta of Guadalupe in
the Town of Guadalupe, Arizona” guided by Felipe S. Molina, meeting at
Burger King Restaurant in Groves Power Center, 1220 W. Elliot Rd., Tempe,
Arizona, just east of I-10 Exit 157
      (A Tucson caravan will depart for Tempe at 9:30 a.m. from the Sam’s
Furniture Outlet parking lot at 2020 W. Prince Rd., just east of I-10 Exit
254.) 11 a.m. starting at the Tempe Burger King till 4 p.m. or later
depending on how late participants with vehicles wish to stay. $50 donation
($40 for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center and Friends of Pueblo Grande Museum
members) helps cover Old Pueblo’s tour expenses and supports its education
programs about archaeology and traditional cultures; donation does not
include meals or lodging.
      The Fiesta of Guadalupe, celebrated by members of the Pascua Yaqui
Tribe in Arizona (and a national holiday in Mexico), is always on December
12th. It marks an appearance of the Virgin Mary to a young indigenous man in
Mexico on December 12, 1531. Old Pueblo Archaeology Center offers this
special outing with Yoeme (Yaqui Indian) traditional culture specialist
Felipe S. Molina to attend the Town of Guadalupe’s December 12 fiesta
honoring its namesake. Participants in this Old Pueblo event may either ride
in a car caravan from Tucson to the Town of Guadalupe, or to meet at a
Burger King in Tempe just south of Guadalupe. At the Burger King, Felipe
will give an orientation before we all drive in a caravan to a parking area
in the Town, then walk to see the fiesta procession enter Guadalupe plaza.
Following the procession we will split our group into two or more subgroups
that will each watch the activities from different vantage points, then in
the afternoon our group will reassemble to compare what everyone has seen
from the various observation points, and Felipe will provide further
interpretation of some of the things going on at the fiesta. People can
either bring their lunches or buy food from vendors in the plaza. The tour
officially ends after the regrouping and interpretation discussion but
participants may choose to stay and watch the evening festivities or to go
home (not necessarily in a caravan) after the group discussion.
      Donations are due 10 days after reservation request or by 5 p.m.
Wednesday December 9, whichever is earlier: 520-798-1201 or
      IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about the
above-listed activity send an email to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with “Send Guadalupe flyer” in your email subject line.

Some additional Old Pueblo Archaeology Center activities coming up in 2021:

January 21, 2021 “Droughts and Floods Structured Social Inter­action in the
Pre-Hispanic Southwest” presentation by Nicolas Gauthier for Old Pueblo
Archaeology Center’s Third Thursday Food for Thought dinner at El Molinito
Restaurant, Oro Valley, AZ

February 6, 2021 “Tucson and Marana Yoeme (Yaqui Indian) Communities”
cultural sites tour with Yoeme traditional culture specialist Felipe S.
Molina starting at 1317 W. Irvington Road, Tucson

February 18, 2021 “Buen Provecho! A Multicultural History of Mexico and the
Borderlands through Food and Taste” free presentation by historian Dr.
Michael Brescia for "Third Thursday Food for Thought" dinner at El Molinito
Mexican Restaurant, 10180 N. Oracle Rd., Oro Valley, Arizona

March 18, 2021 “Subjective Color in Mimbres Black-on-white Pottery”
presentation by Stephanie Whittlesey for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s
Third Thursday Food for Thought dinner at Redemptorist Renewal Center, 7101
W. Picture Rocks Rd., Tucson

April 15, 2021 “Third Thursday Food for Thought” dinner featuring a
presentation and guest speaker to be announced, Tucson

June 5 & 6, 2021 “Homol'ovi and Rock Art Ranch Pueblos and Petroglyphs Tour”
with archaeologist Rich Lange at Homolovi State Park, Winslow, and Rock Art
Ranch, Holbrook, Arizona

STILL SOME ‘O’ODHAM AND MARICOPA PLACE NAMES BOOKS AVAILABLE

      Dr. Harry J. Winters, Jr., who conducted extensive research among the
Akimel O’Odham (Pima), Tohono O'odham (Papago), and Piipaash (Maricopa)
communities for years, is author of the two books ‘O’odham Place Names:
Meanings, Origins, and Histories Arizona and Sonora (2012) and Maricopa
Place Names (2018). Neither book has been available in the original
hardcover versions recently.
      Dr. Winters has a few remaining unused, hard-cover first editions of
each book and has arranged to provide them to Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
to sell as an education project and fundraiser. For an idea of the
thoroughness of Dr. Winters’ Place Names books you can email Old Pueblo at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] to request pdf files for each
book’s Table of Contents, and you can read authoritative reviews of the
‘O’odham book by ethnologists Bernard “Bunny” Fontana and Amadeo Rea,
respectively, at
<http://www.oldpueblo.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Tohono-Oodham-bibliogra
phy-Bunny-Fontana-final.pdf>
http://www.oldpueblo.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Tohono-Oodham-bibliograp
hy-Bunny-Fontana-final.pdf (Press CTRL+F and enter the word “nighthorses” in
the search box to find Dr. Fontana’s review) and
<https://muse.jhu.edu/article/691784> https://muse.jhu.edu/article/691784.
      ‘O’odham Place Names originally sold for $179, and Maricopa Place
Names originally sold for $120. Old Pueblo is offering each book for $120.00
+ $13 per book for USPS Priority Mail shipping, and for ‘O’odham Place Names
we will also provide a pdf copy of Dr. Winters' index file. (The printed
book does not include an index.) Persons who prefer to pick up their copies
at Old Pueblo Archaeology Center by appointment can forgo the shipping
charges after the current Arizona and Tucson executive orders that have
forced “non-essential” businesses to close are lifted.
      If you are interested in ordering either ‘O’odham Place Names or
Maricopa Place Names, you can mail Old Pueblo a check or pay online using
one of the methods described below under the Our Mission and Support
heading. (Advance payment is required.)

OLD PUEBLO ARCHAEOLOGY CENTER’S YOUTH EDUCATION PROGRAMS

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s OPEN3 simulated archaeological
excavation, OPENOUT archaeology outreach presentations, and archaeological
site-touring children’s education programs are on hiatus until schools can
begin offering in-classroom programs again.
        For descriptions and pricing of our children’s education programs
please visit our
www.oldpueblo.org/programs/educational-programs/childrens-programs/
<http://www.oldpueblo.org/programs/educational-programs/childrens-programs/>
web page.

OUR MISSION AND SUPPORT

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center's mission is to educate children and
adults to understand and appreciate archaeology and other cultures, to
foster the preservation of archaeological and historical sites, and to
develop a lifelong concern for the importance of nonrenewable resources and
traditional cultures.
      If you are a member of Old Pueblo, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT! If your
membership has lapsed, we would be grateful if you would rejoin us so that
you can again receive membership benefits. Old Pueblo members receive
substantial discounts on most of our tours and other activities for which
both Old Pueblo and the Pueblo Grande Museum Auxiliary charge fees.

Payment Options for Donations and Memberships

      For payment by mail please make check or money order payable to Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center or simply OPAC, and include a printed explanation
of what your payment is for. If it’s for or includes a membership fee, you
can print the Enrollment/Subscription form from Old Pueblo’s
www.oldpueblo.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Old-Pueblo-Membership-Subscript
ion-Application-Form-20181215.doc
<https://www.oldpueblo.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Old-Pueblo-Membership-
Subscription-Application-Form-20181215.doc>  web page and complete the
appro­priate information on that form. Mail payment and information sheet to
Old Pueblo Archaeology Center, PO Box 40577, Tucson AZ 85717. (Mail sent to
Old Pueblo’s street address gets returned to senders because there is no
mailbox at our street address.)
      You also can donate using a major credit or debit card by clicking on
the “Donations” image at the top of this message or by visiting Old Pueblo’s
secure donations web page: www.oldpueblo.org/about-us/donations/
<http://www.oldpueblo.org/about-us/donations/>
      To start or renew an Old Pueblo membership online you can visit our
www.oldpueblo.org/about-us/membership/
<http://www.oldpueblo.org/about-us/membership/>  web page, scroll down to
the bottom of that page, and follow the instructions for using our secure
online membership form or our printable Enrollment/Subscription form.
      To make a donation using PayPal, please go to the www.oldpueblo.org
<http://www.oldpueblo.org>  home page, scroll down to the “Donate” section,
click on the “Donate” button above the PayPal logo, and follow the prompts.
      To make a credit card or debit card payment without going online you
can call Old Pueblo at 520-798-1201, tell the person who answers you’d like
to make a credit card donation or payment, and provide your card
authorization. We advise that you do not provide credit card or debit card
numbers to us in an email. Old Pueblo accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover
card payments.
      All of us at Old Pueblo Archaeology Center appreciate your support! I
hope you enjoy reading this and future issues of Old Pueblo Archaeology
Center’s upcoming-activities announcements!

Regards,

Allen Dart, RPA, Executive Director (Volunteer)
Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
PO Box 40577
Tucson AZ 85717-0577 USA
      520-798-1201
      www.oldpueblo.org <http://www.oldpueblo.org>
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OPT-OUT OPTIONS

      This communication came to you through a listserve from which Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center cannot remove your email address. The listserves
to which this message was posted and the email addresses to contact for
inclusion in or removal from each one include:

      AAC-L (no organizational affiliation):  John Giacobbe
      Arizona Archaeological Council: Caitlin Stewart
      Archaeological Society of New Mexico:  <[log in to unmask]>
      Community Foundation for Southern Arizona Community Calendar-Ana Tello
      Colorado Council of Professional Archaeologists:  Greg Williams
      Historical Archaeology:  <[log in to unmask]>
      New Mexico Archaeological Council:  David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
      Rock Art-Arizona State University:  Gary Hein <[log in to unmask]>
      Texas Archeological Society: Robert Lassen <[log in to unmask]>
      Utah Professional Archaeological Council: