HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Travis Parno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:41:31 -0500
 Dear colleagues,

If you would please distribute this announcement to anyone who you think
might be interested in our program, I would greatly appreciate it. Please
feel free to direct any questions to me at [log in to unmask] Thank
you very much~

Best,
Travis Parno
Chief Archaeologist
Historic St. Mary's City

*2018 Field School in Historical Archaeology*

*Historic St. Mary’s City, Maryland*

Historic St. Mary’s City (HSMC), in association with St. Mary’s College of
Maryland (SMCM), announces its 2018 field school in historical archaeology.
The 2018 field season will be focused on the Calvert House site. Located in
Town Center at the heart of the colonial capital, the Calvert House site
takes its name from its earliest resident, colonial governor Leonard
Calvert, who commissioned its construction soon after the colony was
founded in 1634. As a site that during the 17th century served as a home, a
fort, a statehouse, and an inn, the Calvert House site offers the
opportunity to study many aspects of early colonial life. Excavations in
the yards immediately adjacent to the Calvert House will explore the many
post-holes, fences, and other cultural features associated with the
structure, as well as provide a plethora of artifacts to contribute to the
understanding of this critically important site.

*About the Program*

HSMC is a state-supported, outdoor museum located at the site of Maryland’s
first capital (1634–1694). The HSMC field school is the longest-running
historical archaeology field school in the United States. Participants
engage in an intensive, ten-week program that teaches the foundational
principles of historical archaeology through hands-on excavation,
laboratory work, and artifact analysis. Students learn artifact
identification by working with one of the best archaeological collections
of colonial and post-colonial material in the country. Throughout the
program, students attend lectures from leading Chesapeake scholars and take
field trips to area archaeological sites. Students also receive the rare
opportunity to learn about 17th-century sailing firsthand aboard the *Maryland
Dove*, a replica of a square-rigged tobacco ship.

The Historical Archaeology Field School is an ideal experience for
undergraduate or graduate students concentrating in Anthropology,
Archaeology, History, Museum Studies, or American Studies, or for any
student with an interest in learning about the past through archaeology.

*Program Dates:*

May 29 – August 4

*Credits:*

8 credits (Anthropology or History) through SMCM or exchange equivalent

*Costs:*

$1600 tuition, plus $75 fee (housing and meal plans available at an
additional cost)

*For more information, including application process, visit our **Field
School homepage* <http://www.hsmcdigshistory.org/research/field-school/>*!*

--

Travis G. Parno, Ph.D., RPA
Chief Archaeologist