HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karlis Karklins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2017 19:56:27 -0500
Greetings all!

I am happy to announce that Volume 29 of BEADS: Journal of the Society of
Bead Researchers (2017) will shortly be ready for mailing. It contains
several articles and book reviews that may be of interest to the historical
archaeology community (see below).

If you are not an SBR member and want to receive this issue, you need to
join for 2017. To do so, go to the Membership page on the SBR website
https://beadresearch.org/membership/ and choose the appropriate membership
level. You will then also receive the two digital issues of The Bead Forum
newsletter that were issued this year.

You may also send a check or money order (in US funds) to: Society of Bead
Researchers, PO Box 13719, Portland, OR 97213, USA. Just download the
membership form using the link at the bottom of the SBR Membership page.

Or, if you don’t want to join, you may purchase a copy (same price as
membership) by going to: https://beadresearch.org/product/beads-journal-29/
This way, however, you will not receive our informative newsletters.

Join or order soon so we can get you on our mailing list.

Table of Contents:

Patterns of Scandinavian Bead Use between the Iron Age and Viking Age, ca.
600-1000 C.E., by Matthew Delvaux

An XRF Compositional Analysis of Opaque White Glass Beads from 17th-Century
Mission Santa Catalina de Guale, Georgia, by Elliot H. Blair

Antique Cloisonné Japanese Beads, by Chris Prussing

Mainland Chinese Export Beadwork, by Valerie Hector

Flying Woman’s Beaded Cheyenne Cradleboard and Associated Bead Card from
Fort Keogh, Montana, by William T. Billeck

Full Instructions in Needle-Work of all Kinds: Beads, from Godey’s Magazine
and Lady’s Book

Book Reviews

The World in a Bead: The Murano Glass Museum’s Collection, by Augusto
Panini, reviewed by
Karlis Karklins

Wild Beads of Africa, by Billy Steinberg and Jamey Allen, reviewed by Joyce
Holloway

A Bag Worth a Pony: The Art of the Ojibwe Bandolier Bag, by Marcia G.
Anderson, reviewed by Richard Green

Ancient Egyptian Beads, by Nai Xia, reviewed by Karlis Karklins