From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2017 19:04:51 -0600
Winter in the Midwest is a good time to think back on events of the last
season.  I have one I would be interested hearing others thoughts on.
Though it is not as serious as "one deep vs. two deeps" I find it
interesting.

Yesterday I ran into an article about a bee attack in India caused - they
contend - by the use of an aerial drone by the press as they covered a
political even.  I had a similar happening.

Last summer I watched as a swarm emerged from one of my hives. I waited -
nuc box in hand - for it to light so I could hive it.  They proceeded to
fly fifty feet up to the top of an oak tree and gather.  Not wanting to
waist the event completely, I decided to photograph the bees using my
aerial drone.  I launched it and proceeded to use the onboard camera to
photograph the swarm.  Moving in for a closeup, the bees became defensive
and attacked the drone.  They did not attack me, but the when the drone
landed, I had to remove the bee parts stuck to the rotors and body of the
drone.  From the ground I could see the bees taking on the drone.

I sense the bees were aroused by the sound of the drone.  I flew it very
slowly as I approached the swarm.  Being electric there was no fuel smell.

I often talk to my bees in a slow-paced, bass voice and have sensed that
the bees (and the beekeeper) are calmed by the sound.  The sound of the
drone is much higher, continuous and seems to have an "inherent" urgency.
Obviously these thoughts are subjective, but I would be interested in
hearing other takes on this aerial battle.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL