From:
Al Avitabile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2017 00:18:13 +0000
I am on the B-Source line. In Europe and other places  including the U.S it was said that if you marked a bee tree with your initials or by some other means  you had legal claim to it even if it the bee tree was not on your land. What I find difficult to believe is  WHY would you telegraph the Bee Tree to others by marking it.  Someone walking in the forest would see a marked tree and take it down before the marker returned. The same would be true if you left an arrow in the tree.
  The best history of how the European honey bee arrived in North America is by Tammy Horn. It seems the first successful  arrival of bees was 1621 to the Jamestown colony in Va. From there by swarming and/or by trading, bees continued to expand their range from state to state. The first honey bees arrived in California by boat in 1843 where they quickly, by swarming became invasive. As you may know it is alleged that the Native Americans ( also invasives) referred to the honey bee--" As the white man's fly). Some say the Spaniards actually brought the bee here in the 1500's. But were is the proof. Actually according to Tammy Horn the first known attempt to bring bees to Jamestown ( America) was in 1609 on the ship called The Sea Venture, however on its way across the pond it encountered a hurricane and ship wreck on what is now Bermuda, as far we we know the bees failed to survive.

  The first mega continent was Pangaea, and even all the flora and fauna there was not totally native because once a creature crawled out of the sea to inhabit Pangaea, we have the very first invasive. And to get crazy once a creature evolves from another , that new resident is technically an invasive too.
  Taking invasive to its logically conclusion most of us would have to return to Europe and then to East Africa where according to those who know it all began. And certainly we as invasives have been the most destructive of all the invasives but personally I am glad to be here. And of all the invasives, we have the opportunity to correct within reason the damage we have done to the areas we have moved into.   Best with your bees. Al