From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2017 12:53:49 -0400
It's unfortunate that a prestigious
journal could publish a study with such clear errors.

Science always looks for the appeal to large numbers of readers - and that means that not all of the papers are up to the scientific standard most of us expect from Science.  When MT ST Helen's erupted, they put out a special issue.  Some good papers, and some really poor ones.  By the time I got to the end, I wondered why they didn't include a paper from a janitor comparing amounts of dust swept up.

I had a paper rejected by them, not for it's science, but because it wouldn't appeal to a wide enough audience.  After publication, our paper had over 80,000 reads.

Full disclosure, I have had our work published by science - Feb 5, 1985 - in was doubly nice to have a paper in Science published on my birthday.