HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2015 23:22:12 GMT
Hi all,

A public archaeology/educational session at SHA! If you are interested, contact me at [log in to unmask]

Remember SHA deadline for abstracts in June 30!

Bernard

The abstract is below:

Teaching the Past to the Huddled Masses, Yearning to Learn: Building an Educational Toolkit for Archaeology
Organized by Bernard K. Means
Public archaeology is—or at least should be—about more than simply telling the general public about our findings.  Our primary goal as public archaeologists is to share our passion for the past, engaging people in the thrill of discovery, but also teaching them how archaeology is relevant to contemporary concerns and issues.  Teaching people about the past happens in formal, bounded classroom settings, and informally out in the field, at festivals, and other locations. This session features a lightning-fast (3 minute) series of presentations about teaching in a wide variety of settings. Following completion of this lightning round, the participants and attendees are provided with the opportunity to question one another, as well as share information about teaching materials and lesson plans.