From:
John Chesnut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2018 17:15:00 -0500
I was engaged in a spirited discussion with a strong advocate of keeping Africanized Bees in Southern California due to their ((supposed)) resistance to stressors.

The advocate made two surprising statements:
 (1) "Studies have shown that defensiveness is based on epigenetic expressions due to trauma in larvae and that behavior can change to become docile."
 (2) "I have also spoken to bee geneticists who have changed their epigenetic behavior expressions through the use of environment modifications. One b[r]ought by AHB hybrids and said they were more docile than his bred stock."

Can anyone point me to research that correlates "Trauma in Larvae" with Africanized-levels of aggression.   I am skeptical (to put it politely, as "Trauma in Larvae" has the worse sort of "neo-vegan" odor about it.

I asked for citation to research (which promptly ended the conversation),  a keyword search on Google Scholar on combinantions of  trauma, apis,  aggression, epigenetics unearths nothing.    Reading through the bibliographic citations of journal articles picked up with "Epigenetics, Bee"  shows nothing remotely relevant.

How should I file this claim.   This list-serve has access to bee geneticists and researchers, and this claim could not have escaped their notice.