From:
Marcin Matelski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2017 15:40:57 +0000
>The queen is worth saving if there are multiple eggs in the cells which means the queen wants to get going but there isn't enough support from the workers<

I've experienced something similar. In early March 2016 I was expecting hives at my work and came across an overwintered colony that had only 2 frames of bees and about a fistful of eggs. I shook nurse bees from another colony and added a frame of capped brood with some nurse bees on the frame to the weak colony. I also transferred all of the overwintered bees from a double deep to a single 5 frame nuc box. I added a frame of capped brood with bees twice every 10 days or so. The colony and the queen responded favorably and it became the most productive colony and I harvested 55lbs of honey from that colony, which for Chicago is way above average, and it was one of two hives that didn't require winter feeding. Unfortunately, the colony didn't make it through the winter. In hindsight I probably should have requeened in the fall.

Marcin

Chicago