From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2017 22:45:45 +0000
"It's easy to observe the exhausted insects under the lights in the morning. I'm wondering to what extent our artificial lighting at night is having on night-flying insects? (I wouldn't expect lighting to have an effect upon day-flying insects)."

You ask a good question. The answer has to do with the need most organisms have to set their many biological clocks by the earth's predictable rotation...and they use light to do this. When that signal fails them, as in the case of artificial lighting, many rhythmic processes are derailed and become unsynchronized. In humans, this results in glaucoma, high blood pressure, and many other maladies. It will be no different for insects. And they don't have health insurance.

Christina